Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tutorial On Easy Clear Vinyl Pouches

Tutorial On Easy Clear Vinyl Pouches

I found this tutorial on how to make a cute vinyl pouch with a zipper or velcro. The writer even gives you a tip on how to make sewing vinyl easier. The secret is scotch tape on the needle plate and the bottom of your presser foot. I'm thinking about incorporating some pretty fabric into any pouch I make with these instructions. This free tutorial sure beats paying the crazy prices I'm seeing for the vinyl pouch patterns.

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/08...l-pouches.html

Blog Entries
    IrishgalfromNJ Thanks I will try this

Thanks for the link. Great idea. I am going to make some of these as I already have some clear vinyl.

I have made a number of different pouches. I wrapped the seams with bias tape (I like the look of flat seams and did not have to turn it inside out, which can be apain) and (for some) installed several zippers. I just sketched out what I wanted. I made them 15" square for the ones I used as project pouches. Sometimes I use a fabric back, and I like that look a lot. When I did a tutorial for my quilt guild, one of the ladies used window screen and it turned out well -- she did not want to have the pouch air tight.

They are fun and go fast. The sky's the limit for style -- make it the way that it is more useful to you. I use a little longer stitch and always stitched with fabric against the feed dogs so I did not have an issues stitching.

If I could find my materials. I would do a tutorial but right now, recovering from knee surgery with everything in boxes in the garage I don't know when I will find things .
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

thanks for sharing!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing. Have been looking for tute for sewing vinyl before. Didn't know about the tape. I'm sure it will help. Again, thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
    I found this tutorial on how to make a cute vinyl pouch with a zipper or velcro. The writer even gives you a tip on how to make sewing vinyl easier. The secret is scotch tape on the needle plate and the bottom of your presser foot. I'm thinking about incorporating some pretty fabric into any pouch I make with these instructions. This free tutorial sure beats paying the crazy prices I'm seeing for the vinyl pouch patterns.

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/08...l-pouches.html
    that's a great tip, thanks for sharing.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    She also has a great tutorial for keeping your machine clean and running smooth for all of the newbies here.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    I made about 6 of these using old zips. I'd saved. The clear plastic for covering tables works great but not the thicker patterned type as it is too stiff and splits in time. My clear plastic still going 3 years down the line.
    Finished is better than a UFO

My machine came with a teflon foot..works great

http://www.amazon.com/Distinctive-No.../dp/B00326993S

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I have made a number of different pouches. I wrapped the seams with bias tape (I like the look of flat seams and did not have to turn it inside out, which can be apain) and (for some) installed several zippers. I just sketched out what I wanted. I made them 15" square for the ones I used as project pouches. Sometimes I use a fabric back, and I like that look a lot. When I did a tutorial for my quilt guild, one of the ladies used window screen and it turned out well -- she did not want to have the pouch air tight.

They are fun and go fast. The sky's the limit for style -- make it the way that it is more useful to you. I use a little longer stitch and always stitched with fabric against the feed dogs so I did not have an issues stitching.

If I could find my materials. I would do a tutorial but right now, recovering from knee surgery with everything in boxes in the garage I don't know when I will find things .
    First - hope your recovery from the knee surgery goes well. I had both knees replaced 10 years ago and know what you are going through. Hang in there and it will get better!

Second - I love your idea of using fabric backs. Also, using the fabric screen. I have a lot of that left over from projects.

Third - I will be watching for your tutorial on making the vinyl bags. I bet it is the best!

Thanks for sharing. I did buy a teflon foot for my Janome, but haven't tried it yet.

Power Poster
    Thanks for sharing...