Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Two things I learned recently >

Two things I learned recently

Two things I learned recently

Old 04-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Suz

Default Two things I learned recently

As I get older, I have been having trouble changing my bed sheets. I have learned that once I have three corners in place, I struggle with the fourth. Since I am not strong enough lift the mattress, the following is my solution. I make sure the fourth corner is at the bottom of the bed. I can hook my fingers into that corner of the sheet and back up causing the sheet to stretch and giving me enough extra to put this corner in place easily. Not such a dreaded ordeal any longer.

AND, getting my laundry basket to the laundry room was a problem. Just too heavy for me to carry. For a long time, I just kicked and kicked it to the laundry room. Of course, balance was also an issue. Now, I hook a clothes hanger into the handle and drag it. Not pretty, but it works.

Thanks for listening.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:54 AM

Yes, to the fourth corner of the sheet being at the foot of the bed. We don't have foot-boards to deal with though. Laundry is carried to the washer in small bundles. Never a clothes basket. In fact, the one and only clothes basket lives in the garage with old worn-out towels.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:57 AM

Grats on finding adaptive techniques!

My mom solved the sheet problem by sewing a tab onto the fourth corner. She put on the other three sides well and could only get about 1/2 down the fourth. With the tab she slides that under (without lifting the mattress) and clips it on the other side and everything stays in place. I have a waterbed and have several pairs of sheet extenders/blanket grips. There are various types, I like the ones with sturdy suspender type ends and gave her a set of those. She sliced them in half so she could make tabs for two sheets from one.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=blanket+gr...ages&ia=images

Laundry, I got no suggestions

The other day I was washing my kitchen floor. I've got knee issues going on (no getting down on the knee!) and had no sponge mops, so I started by scrubbing the floor with a towel and my good foot/knee... again, another opportunity for me to put on some loud music and try and make the best of the situation. All I can say is it is a good thing I'm rarely caught in action, but should you get a sighting it might be worth it to send to America's Funniest Videos.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:43 PM

I’ve been doing thst fourth corner trick since I was a kid (a very long time ago). I’m short and it’s the only way to get tights bottom sheets on. The problem with sheets now is that they are too big - meaning most are made for the really deep-sided mattresses - which we do not have. I’m still grumpy about manufacturers inly selling sheets in packages with both too and bottom - and nit selling bottom sheets by themselves. I have a very worn out bottom sheet but the top sheet is just fine. There. Just be bottoms sold,somewhere.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 04-27-2021, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135 View Post
I’ve been doing thst fourth corner trick since I was a kid (a very long time ago). I’m short and it’s the only way to get tights bottom sheets on. The problem with sheets now is that they are too big - meaning most are made for the really deep-sided mattresses - which we do not have. I’m still grumpy about manufacturers inly selling sheets in packages with both too and bottom - and nit selling bottom sheets by themselves. I have a very worn out bottom sheet but the top sheet is just fine. There. Just be bottoms sold,somewhere.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Walmart used to have individual top sheets. Haven't looked lately.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:52 PM

Yep we must improvise things when nothing works the way it used to. Cat litter boxes are huge things now. i can only buy the 28 lb ones and then getting them into the cart and out and into the car is fun. then home. getting it into the house and pushing all the way to my bathroom over the tile floor. that works fine. CATs should learn to do their own pans!! Hmm, maybe a cat school!
Old 04-27-2021, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
Yep we must improvise things when nothing works the way it used to. Cat litter boxes are huge things now. i can only buy the 28 lb ones and then getting them into the cart and out and into the car is fun. then home. getting it into the house and pushing all the way to my bathroom over the tile floor. that works fine. CATs should learn to do their own pans!! Hmm, maybe a cat school!
You can buy "lite" versions of cat litter now. It's so much easier to handle!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

I came up with a way to move heavy objects on my hardwood floors without damaging the floor. I turn over a throw rug rubber side up. Set item on and push shove or pull where I want it. Works well on any surface. So much easier like that. I did this many years when the kids moved out. I f moving something across carpet I use a large heavy black trash bag.

Works like a charm. as for laundry, I carry only what I want, dump on floor and keep doing until I have it all.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:38 PM

I have all these problems too especially trying to tuck in fitted sheets. I don’t use top sheets anymore. I just put on my duvet with a cover.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

I have started to ask my husband to help with putting the sheets on the bed. I think he learned how much effort is involved when putting clean bedding on the bed!