Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is unemployment getting better in your states? >

Is unemployment getting better in your states?

Is unemployment getting better in your states?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Not in Pennsylvania
Old 11-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Not in West Virginia, either. And the government is trying to destroy the mining industry, which is the only good job in the state for those without a college education. None of my grown children stayed here and none want to come back, because there are no jobs.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
We have lost so many jobs here, companies moving, its a wonder anyone is working. I don't think it has gotten any better, we heard on the news a week or so ago that there is no inflation, nothing is going up, not true, everything is going up, water, electric, propane gas, gasoline and food, heard last week even beans, rice and most cheaper foods will be going up. Insurance is going up also, I think it was polical talk because everyone that buys anything at all knows prices are on the rise.
Not political talk in the sense that the current leadership is trying to make things sound better than they are, but more a problem with the way the Federal Reserve calculates "core inflation" - i.e. excluding energy and food price changes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona...es_price_index

Not very useful given that we HAVE to buy food and some form of energy, while cars and other large ticket items are somewhat more discretionary. It definitely results in an under-estimate of inflation at the level most people experience it.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:06 PM

14% in Florida and I think my DH will be joining the ranks soon, probably by the end of the year!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Georgia is still in trouble.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 PM

Not in ORegon. When I go into Bend, I notice more and more businesses closed down. I, too, believe the only reason there may not be as many people on unemployment is because they're not able to get it anymore -- not because they're employed
Old 11-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Not in California.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:29 PM

alaska: unemployment on the rise [more than seasonal downswing] and prices are going up ...
Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Gal

Employment is down here in New Zealand, they try to tell us we have turned a corner but who's leg are they trying to pull?
Thank goodness my husband and I are retired, I teach one half day a week now which suits me. In Canterbury where I live we suffered a huge earthquake a few weeks back so much damage to buildings over a wide area, so many folk lost not only their homes but there work places had to be pulled down too! There is an up side however and that is that all the tradesmen out of work are being employed again to rebuild all the damaged buildings, they say it will take years so I guess that is a blessing for some!

Gal
Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 AM

Not in my part of state. Unemployment here is around 25%. The rest of state is running about 9- 10%. My husband has a job and I will be looking soon. We just moved into house from 13 months in travel trailer so now I must get out and start looking.