An unwelcome Visitor

Old 09-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Had a guy in his early 20's ring my doorbell, dogs of course did their announce thing - GOOD DOGS! He said he was selling magazines to win a trip to Hawaii, I said can't sorry, he said he had talked to my neighbors, and everyone was saying no - hmmmm, my next door one on one side was not home, I can see her driveway from my window.
I even had to explain what a resession was ??? He claimed he was the highest sales person in the area?? Oh boy, so when he left, a red SUV drove by going one way, he hollered at it, it turned around and picked him up - 2 people in the truck and it drove off in the opposite direction.
Seems fishy, sure he had a flyer with magazines but still, with people not having jobs guess they will do anything.
I called the police and reported it, just in case.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Google Goddess

glad you called the police as you never know what they are up to, so scary
Old 09-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
glad you called the police as you never know what they are up to, so scary
I know it was unnerving. I got a good look at him to describe for the police so that was good, shame I could not get the license plate of the vehicle as it was too far away.
My little dogs are great watch dogs, however, I would love to get another BIG dog as backup, one that is quiet as they can be the best oops who wants to go up against those teeth!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Chances are they tried a few doors and got no real response, better to be safe though than not, and have it on record just in case.
Never know these days with so many out of work etc.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:00 PM

Here in NJ there were some guys going around, asking to do maintenance work or selling home alarm systems...one guy would come to the door to keep the homeowner busy while another one was robbing their house through another door...be careful...there are so many dishonest people who find it easier to steal than it is to work...Naomi
Old 09-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by New Quilter
Here in NJ there were some guys going around, asking to do maintenance work or selling home alarm systems...one guy would come to the door to keep the homeowner busy while another one was robbing their house through another door...be careful...there are so many dishonest people who find it easier to steal than it is to work...Naomi
I keep my doors locked, even if I am outside, everyone thinks I am crazy. My dogs were barking the entire time, I had the door almost all the way closed as I didn't get the gate a nice strong way to prevent the dogs from going thru it.
The police have a report of it so if they were dumb enough to come back....
Old 09-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

years ago one day i was leaving for work. walking away from my house when a car came behind me very slowly. i turned and waved at my empty house and kept walking. the car went away. i always thought they might be casing homes and seeing me leave, they might have thought about going into my home. but not with the invisible person there i waved to.
these days they just knock and break in.scary world.
when people come to the door if i must, i mention my husband or son. even if i'm alone!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
years ago one day i was leaving for work. walking away from my house when a car came behind me very slowly. i turned and waved at my empty house and kept walking. the car went away. i always thought they might be casing homes and seeing me leave, they might have thought about going into my home. but not with the invisible person there i waved to.
these days they just knock and break in.scary world.
when people come to the door if i must, i mention my husband or son. even if i'm alone!
I wave at my house too when cars drive by, and say bye to my dogs as if they were people when someone is walking by, even if it is a neighbor.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

You never know these days who is honest.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Banned

I remember as a young teen I was spending the week with a girlfriend who lived in a town setting. ( I was raised in the country) We were walking down the side walk and she told me that if we noticed a car or someone following us we should just go up to the first house, open the door and walk in saying (really loud), "Grandma, we're home!" That way the person following us would just go on by.
Not sure how that would work in today's world. Now a days more houses are locked and you never know who's house you may be entering and it would be worse!

Our doors are locked at all times.