Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: vacation in Dom Republic, St.Maarten, San Juan and St. Thomas, looking for quilt stor

Blog Entries

vacation in Dom Republic, St.Maarten, San Juan and St. Thomas, looking for quilt stor

can you help me find quilt/fabric stores in this location.
    I'll be leaving New York on April 23. and arriving in San Juan on April 25.
    thank you
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I was in St Croix and was told that there weren't any fabric shops on the islands. Don't know if that is true or not because we never left St. Croix.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I don't know but I would be happy to jump in your suitcase and explore when I get there

Blog Entries
    O.K. Mary is kitty sitting Zoey so she can use the clubhouse where I live while i'm gone.
    i'll bring a decent size suitcase so I can fold you up in mine.
    now I just need a fabric/quilt store.
    where do people there buy fabrics and quilting materials???
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    The lady that told me that there wasn't any fabric stores worked at the resort we stayed at. She sewed her clothing and she said that she ordered online or she had friends/family in Texas and they would send it to her. I can't remember if she said there were fabric shops in San Juan, Puerto Rico as that is a hub for lots of flights to the Virgin Islands. We didn't venture out of the San Juan airport. Very dirty and probably not very safe.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I was in San Juan, Puerto Rico a couple of years ago. Loved it there!! But, only fabric to be found on the island was at the Walmart. I didn't bother going.

The only fabric store I have found was in Aruba and the vast majority was not cotton, but good quality.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

We were in PR, St. Maarten and St. Thomas a few months ago and I wasn't able to find any fabric stores. I considered myself lucky to be able to find thimbles from each place for my collection.

I searched from one end of St. Thomas to the other- no island fabric shops. There is a Joanns there.

Blog Entries
    When I lived in Grenada, I could not find anywhere to buy fabric or knitting yarn. I had my wedding dress made there, and the person who designed and sewed it (a man! Who smoked marijuana all the time while he was sewing) took a boat to Trinidad to buy fabric, notions and trim. So I guess they must have suppliers there, at least.

Hello every one in this block. This is my first time to enter in this blog.
    We have this department store that have fabric and notion. If you can
    call them, you will see the telephone number in the Yellow pages from
    PUerto Rico.
    TIENDAS CAPRI

Trujillo Alto Shopping Center
    Puerto Rico, Trujillo Alto

see Phone number
    cerrar Phone: (1) (787) 7550210

Grade to:TIENDAS CAPRI

Sorry I should said BLog.

Blog Entries
    The climate is very warm in the islands and ladies don't have a need for quilts.

Blog Entries
    thanks Lillin for the information.
    maybe not quilts, but what about cloths and gifting goodies

Hawaii has beautiful fabric stores. We went on a cruise there, I came home with so much fabric!

Blog Entries
    lucky you!!! I'n not going there. my dh asked where I wanted to go, I told him I didn't care.
    sooo, if I can't find fabric, more money to spend when I get home, or on jewelry.
    going to Dom. rep. that's where larimar comes from, but I have a feeling I can get it cheaper here.
    I'll let you know if I find any fabrics.
    thanks for the input, everyone, and I bet in Hawaii, they've got great stuff

Blog Entries
    It seem strange that there are no shops at all in so many countries. I remember I wanted to buy knitting needles and cotton yarn, as my SIL was expecting her first baby. And the nights can get cool there.

Blog Entries
    lorli I agree with you, maybe we should open up a store together!

When I traveled to the islands several years ago, I was not into quilting. I found many lovely hand embroidered and/or appliqued tablecloths made in China. I bought about ten banquet sized cloths at one shop. I also purchased several card table size tablecloths with native images printed on them similar to bandana fabric. In Haiti, I found native made beautiful embroidered napkins and sweet smocked dresses for children. Today these items may not be available.

Blog Entries
    We cruised all those islands a couple of years ago. Couldn't find any fabric. I did, however, find lots of "cover-ups" with beautiful colors and scenes. I have used these as backing on quilts. Good luck!

None in Maarten or Thomas.

Sorry Lynnie. I called Office of Tourism in San Juan, and told that they don't have any store in the area.
    The only one is in Rio Piedras, to far from San Juan. Enjoy the visit to my country, we have beautiful
    places to see.

Blog Entries
    Thank you sooo much Lillin, what a nice thing to do for me.
    can you suggest places to see while there? I'm really looking forward to this.
    again,, thanks for calling for me!

Lynnie, I am from the south of the island, but you can go to see La Fortaleza, house of the governor, you can see
    El Morro, Spanish era fortress and many stores and restaurant. You can go to La Casita, information center of Tourism
    Office. If you want call 1-787-722-1709.

St Thomas has a shop it is just a small shop in the old downtown near the bay on a side street maybe I can find the picture I don't think it was called a fabric shop mmmm I will look

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast