Vacuum sealer for food?

Old 12-22-2016, 05:42 AM

I, too, seal lots of things in my mason jars. I fill my jars to within an inch to an inch and a half of the top, seal and put in the freezer. In about 5 years I have never had a jar break.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:44 AM

This year I learned how to can, pressure can and dehydrate food. I want to reduce dependency on my freezer, in case the grid goes down. The Food Saver (bought mine from Costco) was vital in dehydrating foods. Yes, you can put an oxygen pak into the jar but they don't always work.
I bought the Food Saver, the two jar top sealers (small and wide mouthed) from Ebay, and 3 canisters, also from Ebay.
My FS has the accessory for pulling air from jars and the cannister. I have dehydrated tons of veggies, herbs, some fruits, shredded coconut and dried beans and grains. I saw on YTube, where a woman used the canister to suck out air from used pickle jars that had been vacuum packed, so I'll try that..I'll reuse those jars and just keep them around for everyday cooking rather than long term storage.
Another thing I did was to cook up about 4 cups of brown rice, lightly seasoned and then dehydrate it. After it was done (it was quick), I put the rice into jars and sucked out the air. Now, if I want fast rice for a dish I'm thinking about, I use my dehydrated...very quick to re-hydrate.
There are so many uses for this FS that I, too put it on my counter and use it almost every day. I especially love quick sealing opened potato chip bags instead of fooling with rubber bands and clips!
Oh, and all the meat I still have in the freezer has been repackaged and vacu-sealed...feels good to get away from freezer burn.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:19 AM

When I bought my Foodsaver, I also purchased the jar sealer. You can purchase gallon size mason jars, and store chips, crackers, flour, sugar, rice, etc. It helps a lot if you have an issue with mice. I also bought the gizmo that marinates and a contraption to suck the oxygen out of what's left of wine once it's opened (Although I haven't had cause to use that yet...)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:58 AM

I am on my second one and love it. Have found a steak in the freezer for three years, no freezer burn and tasted just like fresh. It is great for most anything. Best advice I can give you is don't go with a cheapie. They aren't as good and don't last as long