Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Very good series to stream. >

Very good series to stream.

Very good series to stream.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:59 AM

I remember when it was on tv, a wonderful series. Thank you for posting, I didn't know it was on Britbox. I'll definitely rewatch that one.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:04 PM

I should have paced myself, but I binged-watched all three seasons at once. 😭

I wish the story continued - I want to know what happened to all of those characters! 😊

Loved the clothes, too! Thanks for recommending it! 👍
Old 03-03-2021, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post

I wish the story continued - I want to know what happened to all of those characters! 😊

I am still on season 3. Love the clothes too. I got a kick out of the new fangled cutting machines and hand cranked sewing machines they thought were beneath them to use to make their clothes. Its not dated since the series are set in the 20's and 30's. Would be the same if filmed today.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Its not dated since the series are set in the 20's and 30's. Would be the same if filmed today.
We're still fairly resistant to new things, aren't we?

I did not like the idea of computerized quilting *at all* when I first heard of it. Loved the big free-motion machines and even rented time on a longarm, but the idea of programming it seemed to take something out of it.

Well, I just got back a quilt that I had Missouri Star quilt for me - and I could not be happier! It's perfectly gorgeous stitching!

Because of the number of patches, this quilt is incredibly heavy - I can't even imagine wrestling this 98" square under the needle on a domestic machine. This way, I have a beautiful, consistent, allover design and I can stitch the borders on and quilt them however I want to.

Now, the only problem I have with computerized quilting is that my own free-motion quilting can't hold a candle to the perfect stitching in the center of the quilt. I will use a thread that blends in, for sure!
Old 03-03-2021, 05:43 PM

Thepolyparrot - I’m glad to hear yiu used MSQC for quilting. I’ve been wondering about them (I’ve shopped and watched them for years!) and recently watched a YouTube video from a few years back when they did a tour of their quilting space - at that time they had 17 computer-driven machines and had two shifts doing the quilting, plus great tips for sending your quilts to them or to any other quilter were very in point. Explained what to do and not to do when sending out your quilts. And I’m so,glad to hear that you were very happy with the quilting. As much as I would like to quilt my own quilts, I honestly dint have even a small drop of talent - I’m even scared to try (my OCD rears it’d ugly head).

I so appreciate your comments and would love to hear from any other members who have used MSQC.

thanks
Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 03-07-2021, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post

There’s a book called The House at War which continues the story. I read that Jean Marsh is considering reviving the series.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
There’s a book called The House at War which continues the story. I read that Jean Marsh is considering reviving the series.
Oh, THANK YOU! I just ordered the book and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the series comes back.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
Gosh, that programme is really old now, I think it was made in the 80s. I seem to remember the early series was very good.
It is old. I believe it was originally made for A&E network in the 80's or early 90's. Its an excellent show with a lot of beautiful early 1900's clothing shown. I loved it when I watched it.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Oh, thank you, Janie. I'd love to get the book. I do hope Jean Marsh revives the series.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135 View Post
Thepolyparrot - I’m glad to hear yiu used MSQC for quilting. I’ve been wondering about them (I’ve shopped and watched them for years!)
Sandy, you should post your question to the main board about other people's experiences with MSQC. I've never heard anything negative about their quilting service, but I haven't hung around quilting forums for years until recently - maybe others could give you more information.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that they do only edge-to-edge designs - the designs go from just outside the edge of your quilt top across to just outside the opposite edge.

They don't do custom quilting of any kind. This is why I didn't put the borders on until after the center of the quilt was done - I like to have special designs in the borders.

I wasn't thinking it through when I sent this quilt, and I made the backing big enough for adding the borders. Later. I realized that that wasn't going to work because after I sewed the borders on, some areas were going to have that little bit of extra computer design mixing with my own design on the back of the finished quilt.

My mistake, no big deal - I just serged off all the extra backing and I'm putting backing and borders on the center, today.

I plan to send them my quilts whenever I can afford it. I make mostly king-size or queen size quilts and wrestling them under the needle is getting harder on the ol' body as the years go by.