Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Vicks Vapor Rub - not a joke.

Blog Entries
    VICKS VapoRub - INTERESTING
    During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot soles can absorb oils. Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it.

Some of us have used Vicks VapoRub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who discovered it aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks VapoRub generously on the soles of your feet, cover with socks, and the heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly.

Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good, due to the chemicals in them. This method of using Vicks VapoRub on the soles of the feet was found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bed time. In addition it seems to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly.

My wife tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes. So she went from; every few seconds uncontrollable coughing, she slept cough-free for hours every night she used it.

If you have grandchildren, pass this on. If you end up sick, try it yourself and you will be amazed at how it works.
    DON'T SHUN THIS ONE.. TRY IT THE NEXT TIME YOU GET A BAD COLD. THE ONLY THING YOU CAN LOSE IS YOUR COUGH..

This was sent to me by my DC who also gave me the "Perfect Binding" tute and that sure works!

Yes, it does work. Have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink:

Oh, and since I am new to this, what perfect binding tute???? R u willing to share?

I have tried this also and it does work..

thanks for the tip - hope I don't have to try it to prove you right

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Japonica
    Oh, and since I am new to this, what perfect binding tute???? R u willing to share?
    Here ya go!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-51632-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I was a strange kid because I LOVED Vicks. (my kids always ran away when I tried to put it on them).
    I could take a bath in it even today.
    But I'd never heard about rubbing it on the soles of feet instead of on the chest or upper lip.
    I'll have to try it next time I get a cold.

My husband had a horrible night cough last week. I bought the store brand "Vick's" and told him to put it on his feet before bed and then put socks on. He thought I was nuts (nothing new) but did it. No cough that night! And the next day he felt great. I can't believe this. So wish my mom had known this instead of slathering it all over my chest as a kid LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooklabell
    My husband had a horrible night cough last week. I bought the store brand "Vick's" and told him to put it on his feet before bed and then put socks on. He thought I was nuts (nothing new) but did it. No cough that night! And the next day he felt great. I can't believe this. So wish my mom had known this instead of slathering it all over my chest as a kid LOL
    Wish I'd seen this a few weeks ago for my DD and I!

My daddy used to make us swallow it when we had sore throats....it actually worked!!!! I'd forgotten about it --- thanks for the info.

Blog Entries
    Yep!! We had to swallow it and get it rubbed all over our chests too as kids LOL
    My oldest DD got a rash from it on her chest... I wonder if she can tolerate it on her feet? Hmmmm

be very careful about using vapor rub for a child who has allergies.
    i used it on my dd when she was 5 and had to rush her to the emergency room because she was having trouble breathing. additionally, her chest turned screaming red and hot and stayed that way for days. she ended up having to be medicated with inhalers and antihistamines for breathing and contact allergies.

will have to pass this on to my dd

I love Vicks. When my kids are sick, I cover their chest and neck with it and put it on their feet too. It does help. I also keep a humidifier going next to them in bed.

Just tried this on my daughter who came home from work feeling miserable again (second time in 2 weeks). Hope it works for her.

Blog Entries
    It works for me, I just forget to do it. I also like it on my chest because I like to smell it.

Have tried it and it works.

wow never heard that before,but will try it

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Vicks brings back memories of my Mom rubbing it on my chest and the feeling of it under my undershirt.
    I've heard lately about putting it on feet. Wish I remembered in October when DH and I had miserable coughs!! :D

Blog Entries
    Thank You. I will try this tonight. I have a terrible cough. Hope I can stand to wear socks in bed.

I am a nurse and needless to say I was skeptical when a friend suggested I try this for my very bad cough. I bought some at WM and tried it and it works. Slept thru the night without a coughing spell. Yes, after a few minutes I could smell it on my breath. By the way makes your feet nice and soft as well.

Yep! It WOKS!!!!! I have a persistent cough, tried it last night and slept without coughing!!! First time for weeks!! Now all I need now is something to stop me having to go to the loo several times during the night and I'll sleep like a baby!! Any tips out there??!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    Yep! It WOKS!!!!! I have a persistent cough, tried it last night and slept without coughing!!! First time for weeks!! Now all I need now is something to stop me having to go to the loo several times during the night and I'll sleep like a baby!! Any tips out there??!!!!
    Cut down on fluids well before bedtime, and drink only decaff tea and coffee. Visit the loo just before getting in bed
    It works for me!! :lol:

Blog Entries
    I tried it last night and for the first time in a long time I slept like a baby the whole night long. I am going to play pay it forward with this. If I tell someone about this they will think I am crazy so I am going to buy a jar of Vicks and a pair of socks and pass it on with a note telling them about it and asking them to do the same.
    Thanks for a good nights sleep
    zennia

I was up all night coughing. I am exhausted so I think I will try this and go back to bed.
    Thanks. This board is great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast