Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Virus warning at Google Images?

Blog Entries
    I was searching Google images for something and when I clicked on some of the photos I got a virus warning and then instantly it tried to "scan" my computer.
    It doesn't happen on every photo I click on, and when it does occur, I notice each photo is from a diff. site than the last one.

I've run my virus and malware programs several times but they don't find anything.
    Is this happening to anybody else?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Yes, it's happened to me. I just close it out, not sure if that's the right thing to do though.

I cannot upload a new avatar on here it freezes on me...and this is the only time it happens...yes I have found that as well.

I honestly don't know what to do other than turn the whole thing off.
    Any suggestions???

Blog Entries
    PLEASE don't click on the warning itself.
    It might install something on your computer.

I keep hitting the "back" button until I get off that page.
    Then I run my virus and malware programs to be safe.
    But as I said earlier, so far the programs haven't found anything.

Thank you!!!!!!!!
    No, I don't click on the warning but wasn't sure what to do.
    I just turn the whole thing off and reboot.

Google Images is a fantastic way for Malware to get onto your computer. Always check the URL before clicking the image. If it seems fishy, don't click.

That being said, it sounds like what your dealing with is a redirect virus. A website/platform/host gets hacked & instead of going to the website you intended, it redirects you to one (or you get a pop-up) that tells you it's scanning your computer & you have tons of bad stuff on it. Do not click on anything, if you can't get off that site, shut down your computer. Clear your cookies, clean your computer & run a scan (in safe mode) With a redirect, there's not much more you can do about it; it's usually not on your end.

Blog Entries
    Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimee G
    That being said, it sounds like what your dealing with is a redirect virus. A website/platform/host gets hacked & instead of going to the website you intended, it redirects you to one (or you get a pop-up) that tells you it's scanning your computer & you have tons of bad stuff on it. Do not click on anything, if you can't get off that site, shut down your computer. Clear your cookies, clean your computer & run a scan (in safe mode) With a redirect, there's not much more you can do about it; it's usually not on your end.
    I was searching [free] quilting patterns last evening and when I clicked on one, it redirected me to an ad. Tried again, same thing. I run my Webroot scan every day.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have read on here somewhere that there is a little warning if people are aware of a virus like" Not a good site, etc." I always watch for these. Now I have my favorites I go into and feel safe there. Always have to be so careful. Thanks for sharing.♥♥

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    I was searching [free] quilting patterns last evening and when I clicked on one, it redirected me to an ad. Tried again, same thing. I run my Webroot scan every day.
    That could be several things. If you're only getting it on one site, it's unlikely that there's adware on your 'puter. If it was a blog & that blogger paid for hosting & they didn't pay their bill, the hosting company can & will put an ad in that space until the blogger ponies up the dough to get their URL back. Again, it could be a redirect virus. Or it could be that the website you tried to access belongs to a "hub", & every *so many* (I don't know the ratio) times you access a website on that hub, instead of the website, you get an ad.

If you are having a problem on more than one site it could be that your security software is letting somethings slip through. Not every program is great at catching every type of Malware. If it continues, try layering your protection. CNet has some great programs you can download for free, & they're safe as long as you actually download them from CNet (not the mirror sites) Just make sure if you do layer that the programs "play nice" together :)

There must be something going around Norton keeps finding cookies on mine

Blog Entries
    That could be several things. If you're only getting it on one site, it's unlikely that there's adware on your 'puter. If it was a blog & that blogger paid for hosting & they didn't pay their bill, the hosting company can & will put an ad in that space until the blogger ponies up the dough to get their URL back. Again, it could be a redirect virus. Or it could be that the website you tried to access belongs to a "hub", & every *so many* (I don't know the ratio) times you access a website on that hub, instead of the website, you get an ad.

If you are having a problem on more than one site it could be that your security software is letting somethings slip through. Not every program is great at catching every type of Malware. If it continues, try layering your protection. CNet has some great programs you can download for free, & they're safe as long as you actually download them from CNet (not the mirror sites) Just make sure if you do layer that the programs "play nice" together :)
    It's not sending me to a diff. site, just telling me that I have a virus (although it's not my virus / malware programs giving me that warning) and then tries to scan my computer.
    I've cleared my cache, cookies, history, et al and re-ran my programs. So far so good.

AlwaysQuilting ~ I was trying to respond to QuiltnNan & apparently didn't do something right :) Forums are something I'm still trying to get the hang of :)
    Like I said, your problem sounds like a redirect virus & likely isn't on your end. The server/host/platform/website (whatever) has been hacked & had code inserted to cause either a redirect or a pop-up. There's one very well-known hosting site that this happens about once every six weeks or so. Bloggers/site owners don't update their security & don't know how to check their code to see if there's something "extra" written into it. It usually takes a few days for everyone to catch up & fix the problem :(

Blog Entries
    AlwaysQuilting ~ I was trying to respond to QuiltnNan & apparently didn't do something right :) Forums are something I'm still trying to get the hang of :)
    Like I said, your problem sounds like a redirect virus & likely isn't on your end. The server/host/platform/website (whatever) has been hacked & had code inserted to cause either a redirect or a pop-up. There's one very well-known hosting site that this happens about once every six weeks or so. Bloggers/site owners don't update their security & don't know how to check their code to see if there's something "extra" written into it. It usually takes a few days for everyone to catch up & fix the problem :(
    Oops sorry. But your info is very interesting. Thanks

Blog Entries
    thanks, Aimee G. that is very interesting to know about the hosting company :) when I ran my scanner, there were only low level cookies.

Blog Entries
    When you get the wornings hit alt control and delet this will send your computer to shut down then your can end the offending program.

I have not had good luck on google I have had to fight 2 different attacks so I just stay away from it

My anti-virus program picked up a trojan when trying to access a UTube Missouri Quilting tutorial yesterday. I just quickly shut down my machine, ran a scan and got rid of them (7) in a matter of seconds.

Blog Entries
    They are just trying to get you to buy their product.

Quote Originally Posted by carhop
    There must be something going around Norton keeps finding cookies on mine
    Virtually every website you visit will leave cookies on your computer. Cookies are not always either bad or good. The cookies from most sites are so you don't have to log in every time you go to the site.

Blog Entries
    It just happened again today although my virus / malware programs still can't find anything, so I guess since I never click on it, it's not really adding anything to my computer. . I've deleted history, cache, cookies daily. Just very annoying. I've used Google images alot over the years with no problem but I guess I'll have to find a different way to search images.

Blog Entries
    I'm not familiar with a Webroot scan -- what is it?
    Also, is it a good idea to clear out the cookies, cache, and history on a daily basis? Guess I'm not in the habit of doing this as it's such a pain to always be looking up passwords. I should stop being lazy -- then maybe I wouldn't always get pop ups from Blinkx.

all i can say is LOVE MY IMAC!

Yes something like it happened to me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast