Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Visiting Shipshewana Quilt Festival >

Visiting Shipshewana Quilt Festival

Visiting Shipshewana Quilt Festival

Old 06-13-2018, 04:40 AM

Cool Visiting Shipshewana Quilt Festival

We'll be visiting Shipshewana for a few days next week for the quilt festival, and I'm curious to know if anyone has visited places of interest or great restaurants in and around the city.

So looking forward to getting away.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:25 AM

It’s not a very big city. There is a great store there, I think it’s called Yoder’s ? Has lovely selection of fabric, especially solids.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:57 AM

We visited a couple times, really enjoyed our time there and met up with some "quilty" friends. We camped in the south camp ground, had our bikes, but I managed to walk to everything even in the 100* F weather.
If you like a glass of wine now and then, be advised that it is a dry county and no alcohol is sold there. If you are staying in a hotel, you might like to check their restrictions.
I took a few classes during the festival, also Ricky Tims was there so took a class with him, and also attended his concert in the evening. Do you know who the special guest is this year?

Here is one of the older threads on this, but you can also check for others here. https://www.quiltingboard.com/search...rchid=14015604

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 06-13-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:07 AM

Kaye England, Pat Sloan, Jinny Beyer and a couple others. I think most of the workshops are filled but there may still be lectures open. The link will give you more information about food and activities in Shipshee but there are more options if you go west toward Middlebury, Goshen and Elkhart. East is La Grange but I'm not familiar with that area. If you are looking for something in particular let me know and I would be glad to help you out.

I'll be with my step-mom going to the show and the shop hop, let me know if you want to try to meet up for breakfast or lunch.

https://www.shipshewanaquiltfest.com/
Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 AM

I was there last July and there is several quilt shops. I believe "Yoders" was outstanding-they have so much fabric in all colors and styles. It is a bit overwhelming. Just enjoy the shops they are so wonderful.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I was there last July and there is several quilt shops. I believe "Yoders" was outstanding-they have so much fabric in all colors and styles. It is a bit overwhelming. Just enjoy the shops they are so wonderful.
Jordan you are quite correct, Yoder's can be overwhelming. Also if you have time, it's not part of the shop hop, but Lolly's at the Davis Mercantile is a huge store. It's just off the main road behind the Blue Gate Restaurant
Old 06-13-2018, 02:04 PM

One of my favorite place to eat in that area is Copper Top in a cornfield near Wolcottville. go south out of Shipshe, turn east toward Topeka or Emma, keep going the restaurant is on the left in the middle of nowhere. Really good food.
Get some donuts at Rise n Roll!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:26 PM

Yes, SuziiSew, the fabric store I also enjoyed was Lolly's. I couldn't remember the name of it and didn't want to give out wrong info. I thought the store was called Lollipop's!! LOL
Old 06-14-2018, 02:42 AM

Yoder's and Lollys Fabric are wonderful sources of fabric. I particularly like Yoder's selection of 108" wide fabrics. So many choices. I have made the trip just for that from time to time. The Mercantile building is full of interesting shops and the food is good no matter where you go. I live about an hour away and make a number of trips each year to Amish family bakeries, shops and so on. You will find lots of small stores along the way into town often with fresh fruit, honey, homemade soaps and farm fresh goodies. Enjoy your time and the quilts of course. Park your car and walk from shop to shop for the simple pleasures of Amish country. Oh, and when crossing the streets, watch you step! Many local conveyances are pulled by horses! Wink- Wink!

Last edited by WMUTeach; 06-14-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:58 AM

One of my favorite places to visit. I am jealous! I have been there several times and always feel like it is a special place.