Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Walkie-Talkie purchase has paid off >

Walkie-Talkie purchase has paid off

Walkie-Talkie purchase has paid off

Old 05-06-2022, 08:50 AM

Default Walkie-Talkie purchase has paid off

My DH has some medical issues & had a very hard time walking last year. He mainly sat in his office & just stayed on his computer doing research. He reads EVERYTHING but believes very little he reads. So, when I'm in the other end of the house he would either call loudly for me or phone me with his phone (rarely did he phone me unless I was outside). It got to where I would have to let him know my every move as to where I was & how long I would be away from ear shot. Well, I decided one day to try some Walkie-Talkies from Home Depot & they have been a life saver for me.
He is getting better physically now but we take our Walkie-Talkies when we go to town. He generally just waits in the car for me when I go to shop so now he can call me with the WT (Walkie-Talkie) if there is something he wants & visa-versa. They have really come in handy & I'm so glad I thought of these.
We decided on the DeWalt brand and the 2-watts.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-F...S800/306191841
Reviews said the 2-watts are much better than the 1-watt. Now they advertise that the range on these is 37 miles but that's not true. Most people say about 2 miles. Ours work great around the house/outside/in the store parking lots, etc. I think we could even be traveling in 2 separate cars, following each other, & they would work that way also.

Sorry for the long post....just thought this idea might help someone else.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:28 AM

That is a great idea.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:08 PM

Sounds great. We did this when traveling with two vehicles. Also loved playing with some as a child running from each other
Old 05-07-2022, 09:35 AM

I may have to try that! My DH has reached the point that I don't want him going too far alone. He has lost a lot of his hearing, and has trouble balancing/walking. He can't hear his cell phone half the time! My son used GPS to keep track of him when they are hunting, and was able to keep close track of him. I think a walkie-talkie might do the trick.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:28 PM

I used a baby monitor when I was taking care of my mother. If she needed me at night, I could go to her. I'd bought the $14.95 model from Wal-Mart when my grandson was little and staying with me overnight and it really came in handy for taking care of her.