Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
wanna see an owl? My son is holding it! >

wanna see an owl? My son is holding it!

wanna see an owl? My son is holding it!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:38 PM

we have barn owls in our attic, they have come back for about 6 years now, we try blocking them out but they find a way in anyway. this year my husband is going to make an Owl Box and we're going to see if they will nest there (because they really stink up the room they nest over, and their babies are cute but very very loud)
Old 05-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Usually when the baby is alone like that the mommy is dead. Its too young to fend for itself still. Please if you don't see the mommy it needs to be fed and taken care of..

Such beautiful birds..
Betcha the mommy is hiding from you. Remember that ows have such soft feathers you can't hear them fly.
If you want to feed it take a tiny bit of raw hamburger in a bobby pin or small tweezers and hold it near its beak. If it is hungry it will eat it. Remember it will poop on whatever it is standing on.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
last night my son saw a baby owl in the yard. Looky here! Amazing that it let him hold him!
Please don't handle wildlife like this! First of all, any wild animal that lets you pick it up like this is either gravelly ill, or injured, or just very young. Handling a young owl can make it be too tame and threaten its chances for survival in the wild. Can you not enjoy the rare privilege of SEEING them - please please do not do this again. I volunteer at a wildlife hospital and that's the basis for my comments. If you EVER concerned about a wild animal CALL FOR HELP to your nearest wildilfe center.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:59 AM

No, no, no. You cannot feed raptors hamburger - you will do far more harm than good! Many misguided people do this and by the time the animal is brought to a rehab center it can have metabolic bone disease and be unrealesable to the wild. Please don't try to feed or give water to any animal in need of help. You must keep it safe, warm and quiet until you can get it to a rehab center. No food, no water - you might just kill the very animal you are trying to help!

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Usually when the baby is alone like that the mommy is dead. Its too young to fend for itself still. Please if you don't see the mommy it needs to be fed and taken care of..

Such beautiful birds..
Betcha the mommy is hiding from you. Remember that ows have such soft feathers you can't hear them fly.
If you want to feed it take a tiny bit of raw hamburger in a bobby pin or small tweezers and hold it near its beak. If it is hungry it will eat it. Remember it will poop on whatever it is standing on.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by hungryowl
No, no, no. You cannot feed raptors hamburger - you will do far more harm than good! Many misguided people do this and by the time the animal is brought to a rehab center it can have metabolic bone disease and be unrealesable to the wild. Please don't try to feed or give water to any animal in need of help. You must keep it safe, warm and quiet until you can get it to a rehab center. No food, no water - you might just kill the very animal you are trying to help!

Originally Posted by jpthequilter

Such beautiful birds..
I used to work for a science museum....birds, especially will perish if they are not fed within a few hours, because they have such rapid metabolism. Anyway the whole thing has been solved because the parents are caring for the youngster.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 PM

Cool picture!