WARNING: DON'T DO THIS

Old 04-24-2010, 02:27 AM

I always figure if they are contacting me they would already have that information. So if they are making the contact - I hit DELETE! Even if I get something from my interent provider - I call them rather then do anything via email.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:15 AM

I got this same email...I only open email from people or companies that I purchase from. I am so computer inept...LOL...
Old 04-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

I got one from PayPal a couple of years ago - it looked VERY similar to the regular PayPal - except it asked for the password to my credit card.

I cannot believe I was so dumb!

Anyway, PayPal does have a phone number to inquire about things like that - it wasn't very easy to find, but it is in there somewhere.

If you get a strange thing from what appears to be PayPal, forward it to:

[email protected]
Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the heads up. Why do people do things like this.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 AM

They are looking to collect personal information, it's commonly known as a "phishing scam". It's still absolutely stunning how successful this crooks are, but it's literally a numbers game.

To respond to these bogus emails helps further their crimes. To reply in anyway validates your email so they can recycle your address, sell it to other scammers, and well, it just gets worse from there.

I received the "Paypal" bogus email too, along with one from the "IRS". Both were pretty good compared to many that get thru, but the format, wording and spelling gave it away.

One of those news shows, 20/20, Dateline or 60 minutes, showed how these types of emails originate with people in foreign countries typing away in computer kiosks, who in turn, were "working" for other scammers in the pyramid.

If I can pass along just one thing.............if a legitimate company or business that you have or have had dealings with before is attempting to contact you via email they will NEVER, EVER ask you to submit personal identifying information under ANY circumstances. If for any reason you feel it is legit, before you do anything, CALL the business first. However, DO NOT use the numbers that may be contained in the questionable e-mail. Go the the business' OFFICIAL website and call from there.

It pays to protect yourself so that you are not the next statistic.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
They are looking to collect personal information, it's commonly known as a "phishing scam". It's still absolutely stunning how successful this crooks are, but it's literally a numbers game.

To respond to these bogus emails helps further their crimes. To reply in anyway validates your email so they can recycle your address, sell it to other scammers, and well, it just gets worse from there.

I received the "Paypal" bogus email too, along with one from the "IRS". Both were pretty good compared to many that get thru, but the format, wording and spelling gave it away.

One of those news shows, 20/20, Dateline or 60 minutes, showed how these types of emails originate with people in foreign countries typing away in computer kiosks, who in turn, were "working" for other scammers in the pyramid.

If I can pass along just one thing.............if a legitimate company or business that you have or have had dealings with before is attempting to contact you via email they will NEVER, EVER ask you to submit personal identifying information under ANY circumstances. If for any reason you feel it is legit, before you do anything, CALL the business first. However, DO NOT use the numbers that may be contained in the questionable e-mail. Go the the business' OFFICIAL website and call from there.

It pays to protect yourself so that you are not the next statistic.
GOOD ADVICE!!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this. I am not computer savy, so I will be aware.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:00 PM

I've had hotmail for over 11 years and have never had a problem. Do not ever give out your personal info - no email account, paypal account, ebay account, bank account etc. would ever need to know this info. Please everyone, be careful.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:01 PM

Thanks for sharing that information. Most helpful.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:14 PM

When you get something like this before you delete it, set you mail for full headers and then forward it to Abuse.