Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
WARNING TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! >

WARNING TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

WARNING TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
Hope no one falls for this garbage, expecially our seniors!!
I believe seniors are most vulnerable. My poor father would talk to marketing companies for as long as they wanted. The only good thing was that he always talked to me before anyone received money...even family members.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 AM

I almost got taken by one of these last year only they were in London and they had be robbed. I was ready to help out when my youngest daughter called and I told her that dad's old sec. was in need of money. She said,STOP this is a scam stopped my DH at the bank from withdrawling $600 . So they go for smaller amounts too. I reported to the local police and then to the web site for reporting this type of scam. Since I had the person on the line I told them nice try but that they had been reported. And I asked them the question How do you live with yourselves? Keep a watchful eye. I would think that a family or friend in trouble would contact a family member who know that they are traveling.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:16 AM

I have seen that someone else has also received this and not to tell anyone! Scary thing!! Glad you didn't get taken!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:38 AM

It probably wouldn't hurt to contact the local new station consumer reporter and bring it to their attention.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by amyjo
I have also been getting a lot of strange emails from ME to me. using my email address to send me kooky, kinky crap after I was on a site someone had posted here to go to see something and it turned out to be a place I didn't ever wanted to go to. so I have had issues with that for a while. Just everyone be on the lookout that since everyone the world over can see what we write on here that scams will come. Also I think some of us might be targeted for requests for help with fabric ( I am disabled and can't get out type or have no money please help or we are trying to help this organization with quilts can you help?). Have answered some of them and sent stuff and never heard another word back even saying thank you for your generosity in helping me or (whoever)!!! We know we are kindhearted people for the most part but we are starting to get a lot of the sleazy ones trying to pull something on here now.
This happened to me and my computer guru told me to change my password. He said usually that's all we have to do. I did and the kinky stuff stopped coming from me. Don't open anything from yourself unless you sent it to yourself. froggyintexas
Old 10-21-2011, 03:41 PM

That happened to friends of mine a year ago.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:01 PM

My daughter had this happen to her a few months ago - she was supposedly in London and needed money to get home. My husband also got a check for $24,000 from an outfit that said they were doing a survey of Western Union's customer service. They wanted him to deposit the check in his checking account, wire $19,000 to them, and keep the $500 left over. It's so sad to think that there are such awful people out there - and that really nice people get caught in these traps!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 PM

My son's grandmother-in-law, she is 90 yrs old has received a similar phone call that he was in England and had had an accident and needed a certain amount of money sent right then so he could come home. Fortunately her daughter-in-law was finally able to get her to say why she needed to do this. Oh by the way she did withdraw the money and went to Wal-Mart to have the money sent. Then her daughter-in-law finally got the truth from her and they went back to Wal*Mart the next day and they were holding the money until Monday because they had heard of this type of scam. Unfortunately a year later she received another call and instructions to take the money to another money carrier and she talked her new maid, who did not speak or understand English well to take her and she lost about a thousand dollars. Her phone number has since been changed and I am hoping it will not happen again. She will be 91 in January and still lives on her own in her own home. No longer drives but otherwise does everything else on her own.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:37 PM

What a scam, & how sad people have to resort to this kind of thing...........
Old 10-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Google Goddess

Scam. everyone be careful