Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Warning:  Magazine subscription renewal scams >

Warning: Magazine subscription renewal scams

Warning: Magazine subscription renewal scams

Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 AM

I got into the habit of renewing my subscription on line when the time comes, and if I do not get an acknowledgement right away thru the net, I call the publisher.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Banned

I received a renewal notice for my TV Guide subscription cost listed on the
billed was $1754 this was SUPPOSED to be 60% off yeah right needless to
say I did NOT pay it.

Here is the real funny part..... I have NEVER EVER been a subscriber to TV
Guide.

I have these renewal notices in my mail at LEAST 3-4 times per month.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 AM

Thank you. I have gotten a few of these too. Threw them away because the prices were very high.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Thanks so much for the info ~ appreciate !
Old 06-26-2013, 01:36 PM

I ordered a subscription from my granddaughter for her school. Got an e-mail asking whether I'd like to renew now, with the school she attends getting the credit or wait until she comes around again. I said I'd wait but I would really have liked to order then. I didn't like the quilting magazine I ordered from her and saw 2 in the e-mail I'd like to have.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:36 PM

Yes, this has been going on for awhile. Boy, there's a new scam starting every day!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM

I turned over the scam renewals to the Post Office, it is a mail scam & they do investigate.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:05 AM

Many individuals who are selling things door-to-door are completely honest and have a tough job. However, not all are, and some want to do more than just to get you hopelessly addicted to infernally scrumptious cookies. A number of door-to-door cons are being reported nationwide, so the amount of them active in many areas might be growing.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:39 AM

I don't have to worry, I normally only order for my Nook and go thru BnN for that so I'm protected. The only exception is for my emb mag and they contact me. I never click on a link in an email, even on the ones from my credit companies that I have send me payment due notices. I close the email and then to to website thru browser, you never know if the link is taking you where you think you are going. They had a scam a few yrs ago and people thought they were logging into Ebay because when the clicked on the link it would take them to what looked like ebay but it wasnt'. I'm very careful.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Maire View Post
I turned over the scam renewals to the Post Office, it is a mail scam & they do investigate.
This is because if you do something thru the post office its a federal offense. A few yrs ago I had an ex brother in law leave a threatening email in my mail box, without a stamp (which it is illegal for anyone to leave mail in your mailbox without postage) and I told the mailman I didn't want to prosecute but would like them to notify him that what he did was illegal and there would be charges if it happened again. They had no problem with that. You have to be careful when you deal with government, just like if you cuss over the phone lines you can have federal charges brought up on you. I knew some one who spent 6 mos for saying d_mm on the phone. So not worth it and people quit paying attention to you when you cuss anyways, they go into shutdown mode so I rarely ever cuss at anyone.