Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Watch Out for False Quilting Magazine Bills >

Watch Out for False Quilting Magazine Bills

Watch Out for False Quilting Magazine Bills

Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 PM

Default Watch Out for False Quilting Magazine Bills

This is a HEADS UP for quilters who haven't gotten these before ... I just got ANOTHER one of those FAKE quilt magazine billings this week ... several friends did too

It says "Reader Payment Service" at the top left, and states the subscription (to a certain quilt magazine) is "automatic with receipt of payment" and by "acting now, you can lock in at one of our lowest rates !" They want 2 installments of $24.98 = $49.95 ... for a 1-yr subscription !! ???

This outfit is out of Oregon, but the mailing address is Henderson, Nevada. DON'T be deceived ... never pay a bill from these "services" unless you KNOW you subscribed through one.

Last edited by TexasGurl; 09-18-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:51 PM

Thank you for this information. I find that when I decide I no long wish to subscribe to a magazine it is so difficult to make them understand you are not paying as you are not renewing your subscription. One could easily become confused and pay them people.

Thank you so much.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 09-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

When I subscribe to a magazine, I always do it online and pay immediately with paypal or credit card. That way I know that any "bill" that comes is bogus without even looking at it. Those invitations to subscribe that come in the mail always seem to have the highest prices.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM

I have been receiving these bills from that outfit out of Oregon - I actually fell for it a couple of times - then I read about it on here - Now I am throwing them away - but they continue to send me bills for outrageous amounts. I would send it to the Postmaster but I am not sure anything will come of it. Its best we get the word out so no one else gets taken advantage of.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:42 PM

The last one I got was for the bargain price of only $69.95 for a year.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM

Take all the information you received in the US Mail to your post office. This sounds like something that should be investigated as mail fraud. IMHO
Old 09-19-2013, 06:47 AM

I 'm going to return it to our Postmaster ... also made a copy to send to the particular quilt magazine they are SUPPOSED to be servicing ... we'll see there's any response ...
I'm sure others have done the same, but many will just throw it in the trash (like I did with the first ones I got)

Maybe something can be done to put these people OUT of business, before they defraud more people ... !!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Send it to BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. It may also be a felony since they are using the postal service to commit a fraudulent act. You should be able to contact your local office and let them handle it. With a office in one state and mailing address in another, it may be a federal offense.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 AM

You should notify your state's Attorney General's Office. It is fraud.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Not to go off subject, but I was getting something like that from a computer magazine that I never signed up for. I wrote and called several times but kept getting bills for a magazine I was not receiving. Finally mentioned the Better Business Bureau, and boy they stopped in their tracks! I just this week got an offer from a quilt magazine. I sent it back to them at their expense, and told them I could get free patterns online.