Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
We are getting an Aldi store >

We are getting an Aldi store

We are getting an Aldi store

Old 09-25-2011, 05:34 AM

Interesting bit about Trader Joe's. I didn't know that. Love that store as well.

Originally Posted by Anael
Originally Posted by nhnative
Wow I didn't know Aldi's were in Europe.
ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co. oHG, doing business as About this sound ALDI (help·info), short for "Albrecht Discount", is a discount supermarket chain based in Germany. The chain is made up of two separate groups, ALDI Nord (North - operating as ALDI MARKT), headquartered in Essen,[2] and ALDI Süd (South - operating as Aldi Süd), headquartered in Mülheim an der Ruhr,[3] which operate independently from each other within specific market boundaries. The individual groups were originally owned and managed by brothers Karl Albrecht and Theo Albrecht; Karl has since retired and is Germany's richest man. Theo was Germany's second richest man until his death in July 2010. Aldi's German operations currently consist of Aldi Nord's 35 individual regional companies with about 2,500 stores in western, northern, and eastern Germany, and Aldi Süd's 31 regional companies with 1,600 stores in western and southern Germany. Internationally, Aldi Nord operates in Denmark, France, the Benelux countries, the Iberian peninsula and Poland, while Aldi Süd operates in countries including Ireland, the United Kingdom, Hungary, Greece, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia (operating as Hofer in Austria and Slovenia) and Australia. In the United States; Aldi Nord is the parent company of the Trader Joe's niche food stores, while Aldi Süd operates the main Aldi stores in the country.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Anael
Originally Posted by nhnative
Wow I didn't know Aldi's were in Europe.
ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co. oHG, doing business as About this sound ALDI (help·info), short for "Albrecht Discount", is a discount supermarket chain based in Germany. The chain is made up of two separate groups, ALDI Nord (North - operating as ALDI MARKT), headquartered in Essen,[2] and ALDI Süd (South - operating as Aldi Süd), headquartered in Mülheim an der Ruhr,[3] which operate independently from each other within specific market boundaries. The individual groups were originally owned and managed by brothers Karl Albrecht and Theo Albrecht; Karl has since retired and is Germany's richest man. Theo was Germany's second richest man until his death in July 2010. Aldi's German operations currently consist of Aldi Nord's 35 individual regional companies with about 2,500 stores in western, northern, and eastern Germany, and Aldi Süd's 31 regional companies with 1,600 stores in western and southern Germany. Internationally, Aldi Nord operates in Denmark, France, the Benelux countries, the Iberian peninsula and Poland, while Aldi Süd operates in countries including Ireland, the United Kingdom, Hungary, Greece, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia (operating as Hofer in Austria and Slovenia) and Australia. In the United States; Aldi Nord is the parent company of the Trader Joe's niche food stores, while Aldi Süd operates the main Aldi stores in the country.
Yes the Aldi has been in Germany for years. The German Aldi is much better though(I think) than the American Aldi. The produce is much fresher for one thing. It took awhile for the Americans to get the concept of putting a quarter in the cart to get it out. It was funny almost to see people trying to deal with it.
I love Trader Joes, the only problem is that you get use to one item and it seems like they take it away or change the brand. Other than that both stores are just great,
Old 09-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by dkquilter
I love Aldi's, we really have found only a few products that don't like. Enjoy your new store.
I agree. We shop there a lot.

Pat
Old 09-25-2011, 11:09 AM

You get your quarter back when you return the basket to the basket line .

I luv luv my Aldi's! The chips are cheap and good! Love their $2.29 frozen Pizza. Love most of there stuff in fact.
Sandy
Old 09-25-2011, 05:35 PM

And now as we're going towards the Christmas season, for whoever likes chocolate and marsipan, I recommend strongly from Aldi the "Domino Steine" - they're absolutly heavenly!!! :lol: They are a layered biscuit, jelly, marsipan and covered either with dark or light chocolate. They just melt in your mouth!!!! ;) And you can make lovely table decoration with it too :thumbup:
Enjoy!!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-262246.jpe  
Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 PM

I love Aldi's, shop there all the time. If you eat bacon, they have the best bacon ever. My husband loves their coffee (I don't drink the stuff) and we love the Fit and Active brand.
My daughter is a cashier there and is timed on a regular basis to make sure she is fast enough. No chit chatting or slacking off for workers there. They are paid quite well but a lot is expected of them.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:30 AM

Interesting comment about being paid well. Let me know where I can find a job that pays well that does not expect a lot. Retail is hard work!
Sandy!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 AM

I love their "Stacy's vegetable chips" , eggs, juice, crackers, bread and butter pickles, and their apricot preserves are great.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 AM

I love shopping at Aldis. I go there first. I always buy my cheese, yogurt, and lettuce there. Fit and Active is my favorite brand. They have the best fresh salsa and I make my own. When we run out I always buy it there. I've never had a problem with produce, it's always fresh. We grow our veggies so I know fresh. I never buy produce in a big box store. The hams are always good. I found some stuffed salmon and buy all they have when I find it. It is so yummy. My store is always clean. I went yesterday and decided I don't want to go on Sundays again as it was very busy. I usually go on Tuesdays, my day for errands.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 AM

We have a new Aldi's and I enjoy shopping there.
They are limited in some things they carry but their prices are very good.