Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: We live right on the Mississippi and....

it is getting really scarey. The river is already about 43.5 and is expected to get to at least 48.5 and possibly 50. If it gets to 50 that will be at the top of our seawall and there will be a mandatory evacuation. In all my 56 years I have never seen it this high, the highest I have seen it is 42.5. I have started getting all my pictures, good jewelry and anything else I can thing of that I wouldn't want to lose, so I can put them in the back of my truck or in the attic. I usually don't get bothered by the river, but it's getting a little scarey.

Blog Entries
    I will have you in my thoughts and prayers, take care

I've seen so many picture, I feel awful for you.

Truly hope it doesn't crest any higher and you and yours are safe and dry

I've been praying for everyone in the areas of tornados and floods. This is all so terrible. I've been looking at your picture and asking God to protect you and all your loved ones. Be brave and take care of yourself. God bless you.

Prayers for all in harms' way with this week's weather. Hope you and your family stay safe!

Blog Entries
    Sending prayers your way!!! This weather is crazy with the tornados and the floods. Stay safe!!

You are most certainly in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care.

Blog Entries
    Praying that the water level goes back down!!! Take your things with you do not leave them in the attic. and please leave beofre it gets to the top of the seawall.

Prayers said. I would be scared too. Just take the precautions and be safe.

Thank you for telling us. It is so scary just seeing the pictures. You and all will be in my prayers.

take care - have been watching the developments out there it looks horrific my wishes go out to everyone affected by the storms xx

We live on the mightly Mississippi, also. We have a 50 ft. levee, so I don't complain when it comes time to pay levee taxes.
    How I remember the great flood of 1993!

Keeping everyone thats involved in my prayers. Floods are nasty!

Power Poster
    That is so scary! Please take care!
    I am on the Mississippi in Minnesota. The water is subsiding here.

Will keep you and everyone in the flood areas in my prayers. All the storms and flooding is very scary. Hope the water doesn't hit that 50 mark. Don't wait too long to evacuate though if it keeps rising. Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by squilter
    it is getting really scarey. The river is already about 43.5 and is expected to get to at least 48.5 and possibly 50. If it gets to 50 that will be at the top of our seawall and there will be a mandatory evacuation. In all my 56 years I have never seen it this high, the highest I have seen it is 42.5. I have started getting all my pictures, good jewelry and anything else I can thing of that I wouldn't want to lose, so I can put them in the back of my truck or in the attic. I usually don't get bothered by the river, but it's getting a little scarey.

Sending Prayers!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Please be safe. I do hope it doesn't flood your home. Will be praying for you and everyone else.

Blog Entries
    Will keep you in my prayers. Don't forget any important papers in your packing. Please let us know how things are going.

God Bless and Keep You.

Blog Entries
    May God bless and protect all of you that are having problems now, and give comfort to those of you that have suffered already .

Yes, keep everything ready to go. The tornadoes & the torrential rains are horrible!
    Stay safe & keep us updated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by squilter
    Sissy, you are in my thoughts and prayers. You are wise for thinking now what you would take for an evacuation. I know itís easier said than done sometimes but donít panic.

I live in FL and we evacuated for Hurricane Jean in 04. Some things to keep in mind for an evacuation: Meds for people (and pets.) Toys for children and pets. Food & water for people & pets. Cooler with ice if any meds need to be refrigerated, get gas in the car now and keep it full. If you have a flash drive back up your computer now (time permitting) and keep it in a safe place like your purse. If you have a scanner and the time, scan photos if you donít have enough room for all of them. Put them on your flash drive and put them in your purse when done. Things that I couldnít bring I put in a plastic garbage bag with my name, address & ph # so if it blew away there was a better chance of it being returned. (((((HUGS))))

I just read in the Quad City times that a federal judge has given permission to the Corps of Engineers to break a levee at Cape Giradeau to save the city of Cairo, Ill. That just doesn't make sense to me.