Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up >
  • Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

• Weight Loss Challenge with a prize......Nov sign up

Old 11-20-2010, 06:57 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Missy I'm sorry to hear that but atleast it didn't go for $50.00. Now the organization has $200.00 more then they did before. Time to look at the bright side of things sweety.
    Old 11-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
    That is disappointing Missy, it was worth sooo much more. I know around here people are still struggling, a lot of them are still out of work. Many of the local charities are having trouble getting the support they used to get.
    You are right. Many people are struggling hard this year. I need to just be thankful for knowing that BMS now has $200 they did not have before last night.

Thank you so much for being so encouraging.

Missy
    Old 11-20-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    Originally Posted by lauriejo
    That is disappointing Missy, it was worth sooo much more. I know around here people are still struggling, a lot of them are still out of work. Many of the local charities are having trouble getting the support they used to get.
    The quilt was beautiful, the economy isn't. But, if you look at it this way, your organization made money, your legacy lives on in the quilt, and the new owner will have a beautiful heirloom to pass on. All positives!

Creating the quilt is much like an author, you have been immortalized.

On a sore bote, here one of of our largest charity stores went out of business, they just weren't getting the donations they needed to keep going. Last year we made big (for us) donations to charity, but due to the economy, reduction in pay, loss of pay, we won't be making any.
    You are sure right about the economy not being pretty. It is quite sad actually.

Thank you so much. I am feeling better about the quilt and how much it was sold for after reading what all of you have had to say.

I really appreciate you guys!

Missy
    Old 11-20-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Missy I'm sorry to hear that but atleast it didn't go for $50.00. Now the organization has $200.00 more then they did before. Time to look at the bright side of things sweety.
    Yup Carrie. It is time to look at the bright side and not dwell on what could have been.

You guys rock!

Missy
    Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 AM
    Banned

Missy all of the above.
    Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
    Missy all of the above.
    Thank you Tru. You guys are always there for me when I need you the most!

Missy
    Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 AM

Way to go Missy you made an excellent quilt and through it you were able to donate 200 dollars to the charity of your choice. You had a great time doing what you love (making quilts) and you were able to help by doin that. It doesn't get any better than that. Way to go girl you rock.
    Old 11-20-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
    Well I just got home and am a bit disappointed. The quilt went for 200 dollars. :(

My mom doesnt want me to do any more for them but we will see.

Mom took a picture of me at the event. Hopefully that will be uploaded tomorrow so I can share it with you.

I just took my meds and so after mom and my stepdad are done talking about the event, I will go to bed.

Missy
    I recently donated a quilt to a charity and it went for $200. My Mom was disappointed, so I found the folling quote for her (from http://www.quiltersmuse.com/The_Value_of_your_quilt.htm

"If you want to know the true value of a quilt, ask an old man who is suffering from cancer, and is feeling chilled all the time, to give you his flannel quilt.

Go to a neo-natal hospital unit where a small quilt is draped over a premature baby's "crib," to protect his eyes.

Ask a child to part with his play-time quilt, upon which he can play cars, before settling down for an afternoon nap.

If you wonder about the value of a quilt, think of all of the extraordinary wedding quilts of the past, exquisitely and elaborately hand-quilted with hearts and lovebirds...but which were so precious, they were never used!

Inquire of a soldier, returning injured from Iraq or Afghanistan, if he or she will give you the quilt that is draped around his wheelchair.

Go to a nursing home and view the beds on which 1930s quilts are laid. You will begin to get a sense of the strong ties to family past that these quilts provide. "

The woman who purchased our quilt was so happy with her purchase. She came up to us and said, "I have never owned a quilt before and I need to know how to take care of it." I was delighted to have helped this person get her first handmade quilt and thrilled that she understood it true worth.
    Old 11-20-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    Well, I weighed in yesterday, forgot to post. up .8 pounds but it's that time of the month for me.. so yea.. that's not bad at all.

My grand total weight loss so far since March 17, 2010: 41.2 pounds. :) And we went on vacation for 3 weeks during that time. I am so proud of myself, I'm fitting into clothes I haven't fit into since before I was pregnant! Everyone at work that I never see has thought I was a new employee.

I've got at least another 40 to go, and then we'll see. Every 5 pounds I lose I get myself a little something, like a pair of earrings or a charm pack.

Soon the only fat quarters in my house will be in my stash and not on me.
    CONGRATULATIONS over 41 pounds.
    I am new to this thread. I have been on the fluffy thread but just found out about this one.
    I weigh in on Fridays and have lost 17 pounds.
    I have 33 more to go.
    On the other thread we are making quilt for ourselves. One block for each pound.
    I am making a quilt with leaves on it. Each leaf represents a pound.
    Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by bronald
    Way to go Missy you made an excellent quilt and through it you were able to donate 200 dollars to the charity of your choice. You had a great time doing what you love (making quilts) and you were able to help by doin that. It doesn't get any better than that. Way to go girl you rock.
    Thank you Bonnie!!

Missy