Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize.............Oct sign up

Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 PM

It is time for your dose of the Hungry Girl...

Jambalaya, Pants on Fire...

Here at HG, we generally try to keep the starchy carbs to a minimum. However, there are some recipes that just need things like, say, rice. Jambalaya without rice? Um, that's NOT jambalaya. There's nothing we can do about that. What we CAN get rid of is the fatty stuff. Swap the classic pork Andouille sausage for a chicken version, ditch that unneeded oil (broth gives this dish major flavor), and use brown rice and tons of veggies to boost the fiber content and portion size. Ordinary jambalaya can have WAY too much fat and FAR too many calories. The set of stats below is a very modest average, but we found that several chain restaurants are serving up versions with well over 1,000 calories a pop. Claim Jumper offers a "lighter portion"... for 925 calories! The standard size there has more than 1,500 cals, and the noodles-not-rice option has 2,052 calories!!! Not okay. Ours is a lot lighter AND it tastes GREAT. We think a New Orleans-style dish this good deserves a parade of its own -- grab your favorite trumpet (you do have a favorite, right?), and let's go...

Serving Size: 1 order/portion
Calories: 734
Fat: 39g
Sodium: 2,101mg
Carbs: 66g
Fiber: 2.75g
Sugars: 8g
Protein: 29g

POINTSŪ value 17*

Here is the good-for-you and ever-so-yummy version:

Have a Rice Day!

Quit rubbing your eyes and pinching yourselves, people -- YES, we've made a calorie-friendly jambalaya! If it's spicy, sausage-packed comfort food you crave, you'll wanna save this recipe...

Ingredients:
6 oz. (about 2 links) fully cooked chicken sausage (like the kind by Applegate Farms), sliced into coins
One 14.5-oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (not drained)
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp. hot sauce, or more to taste
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
6 oz. raw shrimp, tails removed, deveined, chopped
Optional: salt and black pepper

Directions:
Add all ingredients except shrimp to a large pot on the stove. Mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer until veggies are tender and rice is fluffy, about 35 minutes. Add shrimp and re-cover. Continue to cook until shrimp are tender and cooked through, about 6 minutes.

If you like, season to taste with salt, black pepper, and additional hot sauce. Serve and enjoy!!!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Calories: 256
Fat: 5.5g
Sodium: 688mg
Carbs: 30.5g
Fiber: 3.5g
Sugars: 6.5g
Protein: 20g

POINTSŪ value 5*
Old 10-12-2010, 04:25 PM

Oh guys! I am having a very mental day. I have an appointment in the morning with a psychologist. She is evaluating me for clearance for the weight loss surgery.

I am very very scared that she will not look past my diagnosis. For those that do not know, I have schizophrenia. I have not had any real bad symptoms in a long time. But still the stigma continues. UGH.

I just took my night meds cause I want to go to sleep early so I will not be tired at the appointment.

I am so scared that even though I have lost more than 50 pounds that this doc is not going to see past that horrible word schizophrenia.

I really need support and I really need a big hug from you all.

Of course, after the appointment is over and I get back home I will update you guys.

*sigh*

Missy
Old 10-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Missy I'd be glad to give you a {{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}} I'll say a prayer for you too.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by bronald
Missy I'd be glad to give you a {{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}} I'll say a prayer for you too.
Oh Bonnie,

Thank you so much. It means so much to me tonight.

Missy
Old 10-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ljs317
thanks for the vinegar tip! I'm going to try it starting today.

About the thong thing/in my personal opinion you really should only floss your teeth.
Ha Ha thats so funny. That's what I called thongs when I did my girls laundry, butt floss. Now the jokes on me as I wear them all the time, annnd find them comfy. Go figure heh. Lol how can you tell I'm a Canadian. heh
Old 10-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Missy now stop freaking out you will be fine. Look at how far you have come on your own. If she doesn't give you clearence then you will continue to do it on your own. You lost 50 be proud of yourself I am proud of you. Everything is meant to be there is a plan and sometimes you can not control that plan a higher power is in control of everything. Just trust the decissions that will be made. We love you for you not for being fat or thin or nuts we love you, we love Missy. Now we would like you to be healthy but you are getting healthy, you are eating the right food and exercising so even if it takes you longer to lose weight with out the surgery you will do it. And even if you don't lose as much as you would have if you had the surgery as long as you stay on the road to healthy eating you will do great. I believe in you, now believe in yourself.
{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}
Old 10-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Missy try not to worry about it too much. Apparently you have been stable for some time or you wouldn't have lost the weight. My DH is manic/depressive and has been stable for over twenty years thru the use of proper medications. Try not to let the Dr. be too intimidating. Here is a ((((((BIG HUG)))))))) for you, my fingers and toes are crossed and I'm shooting a prayer up for you. If I had a wishing well close I would toss a coin in it with a wish. I think I covered most of the bases for you. Will be waiting to hear the news.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Oh guys! I am having a very mental day. I have an appointment in the morning with a psychologist. She is evaluating me for clearance for the weight loss surgery.

I am very very scared that she will not look past my diagnosis. For those that do not know, I have schizophrenia. I have not had any real bad symptoms in a long time. But still the stigma continues. UGH.

I just took my night meds cause I want to go to sleep early so I will not be tired at the appointment.

Ditto to everything Trupeach said!

I am so scared that even though I have lost more than 50 pounds that this doc is not going to see past that horrible word schizophrenia.

I really need support and I really need a big hug from you all.

Of course, after the appointment is over and I get back home I will update you guys.

*sigh*

Missy
You'll do fine, trust God to do the right thing. Believe in yourself, you can make the argument for your surgery. I believe in you. Carol
Old 10-12-2010, 06:14 PM

Missy....
I am praying for you two things no three.... no wait... fourth things...
1. That you will sleep well tonight and be alert tomorrow
2. That the dr. will not intimidate you and see you not your diagnosis
3. That you will continue to be successful in your weight loss regardless which venue you use.
4. That you and Mike grow closer and gain deeper understanding of each other.
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 AM

Missy - sending calming thoughts your way today.
I hope that you will be able to say the things you want to say and not let the things of your past stand in your way. I also hope that the drs will see your determination and make the decision that is best for you and your health.
No matter what the outcome - as others have stated - you are already on the way to a healthier you and YOU WILL SUCCEED!