Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am >

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I know we all LOVE Missy and she is NOT going anywhere she will be here with us........ HOWEVER a few months ago when Gwyn was under doctors care with her weight loss she was losing a lb per day, she was un able to win. Missy is having 500 calories per day we can not compete with her. She has to lose 30 lbs in 30 the same as Gwyn was losing. The rules are the rules and the rules are for EVERYONE! This is for people who are trying to lose weight with exercising and healthy eating which is 1200 calories per day or more depending on your weight.

BBBBUUUUTTTTTTTSSSSSSS.............if Missy loses the 30lb she has to so she could have her surgery sure as sh*t I am sending her a FQ. And maybe it would be nice if all her friends who have been with her on her journey the past year would do the same.
Me too! In fact, I am sending FQs to both winners this month.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Leann
Originally Posted by trupeach1
Originally Posted by Leann

I add a half scoop of protein powder to my morning oatmeal. It gives me 13 grams.
You could use powdered milk for the extra protein you don't need protein powder. When my DD needed to GAIN weight I was adding 2 servings of drid milk to regular milk in her shakes. Remember protein powder is not free of calories.

I bet if you look at the ingredents it says it is protein from whey. Could you do me a favor and check the lable, I am curious how many calories are in the protein powder per serving? thanks

Depending on the calories it might be just as well to not have the powder and add some other protein source like milk, cheese, yogurt, nuts there are so many. You could even swirl a TBSP of peanut butter in oatmeal.
Tru,

Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein
1 scoop (32g)
Calories - 140
Protein - 26 grams
Carbs - 3 grams
Fat - 2 grams

Does this help?
Thank you yes it does help I thought it was made from whey which I comment above. It is a by product of milk like the liquid in yogurt. That is high in calories at 140 for that amount of calories you can have 2 oz of cheese. actually 1 oz of cheese is 1 serving at 70 calories. An egg is 70 calories, 2 oz of chicken is 60 calories so using the protein powder is a good source of protein but 2 things it is expensive, and not filling. I would rather have a different source of protein and have it fill me up. You could have a smoothie with no fat milk some yogurt a tbsp of wheat germ and fruit. Or a cup of soup like bean or split pea or lentil. 1/4 c uncooked legums have about 10 grams of protein and because they take longer to digest you fell fuller longer. Think about it once the soup is prepared if you have onions, carrots, cerlery, tomatoes or whatever veggies you want you can have a HUGE bowl of soup. Or make bean dip with veggies.

It is just something to think about if you need more protein.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 AM

Ok, Ladies. I have been doing so good and have absolutely NOTHING fattening in MY home. However, I am at daughters house.... Madison (2) just asked me for a cookie. I told her there weren't any. Well, she quickly marched over to the pantry (which I have avoided all morning), opened it and pointed to one of the higher shelves, and what do think was there??? Chocolate graham crackers, one of my favorites. I swear, they are going to have to hide them while I'm here. Also was a pack of double stuff oreos and a big bag of doritos!!! TEMPTATION that I don't need. Those things have GOT to be hid from me. I have come too far to fall off the wagon. I gave Madison 1 cookie and put the pack back in the pantry, grabbed a bottle of water, and came on here to read some encouraging notes from all of you. I WILL NOT GIVE IN AND EAT ANY OF THOSE COOKIES!!!! NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.....

Tru, I agree, if Missy loses the weight the Dr suggests, she deserves some FQ also. Go Missy, you can do this. We know you can and we're all pulling and rooting for you. We're your cheerleaders. Can't you picture all of us in cheerleading outfits??? What a site...... Sandy
Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaD
Just checking in (lurking). I have a "no soda" headache. But I am sticking with it. Just hit 25 hours. I think the headache would go away if I drank some coffee. But I'm quitting that for decaf and I don't have any yet. Grocery shopping tomorrow. Might as well just go cold turkey on everything.

When I told hubby what I was doing, he joined in. So now we have a no soda in the house rule. He lost about 60 pounds but has an extra 10 that he just can't get rid of. He's counting on the quitting soda to help with that.The girls are fine with it, as long as they get to choose their crystal light flavors.

And baby boy says he will hide his soda in the Jeep and only bring in what he is going to drink and will drink it in a plastic mug to hide it from us. So he's trying to do his part. He told his best friend he's helping his mom with detox, gotta get her off the drugs. He is soooo my child.

Anyway, hope everybody has a good low calorie day...

D
Donna...I stopped the soda starting midnight on Monday. I had the worst "no soda" headache yesterday morning! But, I stuck with it and am still drinking only water and tea. I am not a coffee person, so I don't really have to worry about that.

It is also great to have a supportive family! I only wish I could get my husband to play along :)

Keep it up. I love all the support from the group.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM

[/qoute]does it have to be whole milk or as long as it has some fat in it? Whole milk is 150 calories for 8 oz. 2 % 130 calories, 1% 120 and no fat depending on the company around 90 calories. so could you use a low fat milk?[/quote]

Actually for most whole milks, I have to ADD cream to it to get enough fats to be able to tolerate it.( I could DRINK whole cream and do fine with it.. but not the calories!)
I have found a local brand of whole milk I can tolerate, ( without adding the extra cream) as long as I do not have too much at one time. Even tho all commercial milk is supposed to be regulated about how much fat it has in it.. My body can tell the difference... we did experiments/blind tests... and my body could pick out the different brands . We used my body's reactions as a measure.

OMG !% milk ... I'd go down the drain with the flush... LOL...

I'll just leave it with, I rarely have milk....( once cooked in food, my body does ok with it.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 AM

I'm all for sending Missy a FQ if she meets her goal and gets her surgery! Everyone needs a little push to get over that hill! I can do two FQ's in a month! Good luck to everyone and GO MISSY!!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Tru,
Thanks for the recipes for the oatmeal! And the one for the facial!!! I have been wanting to go read the earlier months of the weight loss challenge because I'm sure there has been alot of great information and hints. I am sure some of the best ones were posted back when this started, I just need to find the time I can hardly keep up with new topics. lol

I agree about Missy and feel she should be in the running, but by the time I got to the end of the messages and you explained the rules I can see how that is not fair. And I think your idea of sending her fq's when she makes her goal is an even better idea! I am in for that. I do miss hearing from her as much, but glad her priorities are right where they should be. (poor us :( )

I am going to start having a snack around 10:00 instead of trying to wait till lunch, and adding a protien to breakfast. Now if anyone has a good recipe for a low calorie ranch dressing I would love to have it. I love salads but only with ranch dressing and the bottled ones are NASTY! :x
Thanks everyone!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluteddi
[/qoute]does it have to be whole milk or as long as it has some fat in it? Whole milk is 150 calories for 8 oz. 2 % 130 calories, 1% 120 and no fat depending on the company around 90 calories. so could you use a low fat milk?
Actually for most whole milks, I have to ADD cream to it to get enough fats to be able to tolerate it.( I could DRINK whole cream and do fine with it.. but not the calories!)
I have found a local brand of whole milk I can tolerate, ( without adding the extra cream) as long as I do not have too much at one time. Even tho all commercial milk is supposed to be regulated about how much fat it has in it.. My body can tell the difference... we did experiments/blind tests... and my body could pick out the different brands . We used my body's reactions as a measure.

OMG !% milk ... I'd go down the drain with the flush... LOL...

I'll just leave it with, I rarely have milk....( once cooked in food, my body does ok with it.[/quote]

If you are eating yogurt with no fat or low fat milk your body digested it differently. It is not longer milk it is a fermented product. I have done SO much research on natural healing and yogurt I BET MY BOTTOM DOLLAR you will not have any problem with low fat yogurt. If you haven't tried yogurt I think you should. I think what you are forgetting is yogurt is MADE of milk just the way cheese is but the ending produce is NOT milk.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Good morning - afternoon- whatever. My time is still screwed from being sick, but at least I feel better today.

Soda abstainers - three days and the headaches and tiredness will leave. Hang in there. You've already done at least one. MJ, it's none of my business, but how can drink any soda on a low sodium diet? That's not what you thought I was going to say, is it?

I won't mention the artificial sweeteners in Crystal Lite. You need to do your own research on that one.

Missy, you are to be commended for your willingness to commit to such a restricted diet. You go, girl. Lose the 30 and I'll gladly send a FQ.

I make yogurt in the oven in glass jars. It works just fine. The dogs like it better than I do, but they need to eat healthy, too. The jars have to sit in a pan of water and the temp has to be checked occasionally, but it's not hard.

Tru, your oatmeal recipes always sound so good that if I wasn't hungry for a grilled cheese sandwich, I'd have some for dinner.

Never had a cheerleading uniform on except for Halloween parties bur here goes, "We ARE losing weight and getting healthy!!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

Ranch Dressing

1 c plain yogurt (this will give you the tang that you get from buttermilk)
1/4 c light mayo
1 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp parsely flakes
1 tsp chives
1/4 tsp dill

Mix all together, let sit a few hours to blend the flavors

Makes 1 & 1/4 cup at 15 calories per tbsp.