Weird dentist advice

Old 03-20-2024, 06:25 PM

Default Weird dentist advice

About a month ago I lost a crown on my right back tooth. Lucky me, I had covid and was housebound for about 2 weeks and then had wicked cough for another week. The tooth didn't hurt and no way would the dentist have seen me or been able to work on me during that time. I gave myself another week and then called about the tooth.

Dentist made room for me in her schedule the next day. She put in a temporary crown and warned me not to eat hard food, chewy food or sticky food. Alas, she didn't tell me me not to floss around the tooth!

You guessed it - 0ut came the temporary crown. So I called the dentist, and got an appointment for 8:15AM next day. She replaced the temporary crown and told me , "If it comes out again, use toothpaste to put it back in place."

It came out again several hours ago. I used toothpaste on the underside of the crown and put it back over the tooth. It's still there!

Who knew!
Old 03-20-2024, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Seems like a never ending battle to maintain my teeth nowadays. I hope you can get a permanent crown in shortly to save the tooth.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:28 AM

I was out of town years ago and my crown came off. Called dentist, he said get some fixodent or good denture adhesive.
I squeezed the adhesive into the crown and pushed on. It lasted for over two weeks, thank goodness, since I was in a foreign country at the time.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:08 PM

Lady Diana,

I have no idea where my lost crown went - dentist said I probably swallowed it. Dentist also told me not to floss gums around temporary crown. Tooth paste has been working as a temporary adhesive for about 5 days now.
Old 03-31-2024, 03:51 AM

Best wishes, Cathy, I hope everything turns out well for your permanent crown.
My blood pressure always goes up when I go to the dentist.....definitely would rather be doing something else..like QUILTING.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

. Dental problems will certainly bring on depression. Money, hurt, time, and stress all in the mouth.
Old 03-31-2024, 06:34 AM

My brother was terrible afraid of the dentist. He would glue teeth back together with super glue. I do not recommend. I would yell at him for doing that and even offer to pay for the visit. Grrrr! big brothers!
Old 04-01-2024, 10:28 AM

Sewing Pup,

I know a couple of people like that. It's frustrating when you care for them and know that a couple of visits to the dentist each year will reduce their pain.

My granddaughter doesn't really like to brush her teeth. She was going to meet a first date after corresponding for a while on internet. Before she left I asked if she had brushed her teeth. The answer was no.

My response to that was, "Well, if I was meeting someone for the first time, I would not be impressed if their teeth weren't clean.". She turned around, went to the bathroom and brushes her teeth. They are in a relationship now and she brushes her teeth more often. Yay!