Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what about this Brother for FMQ? >

what about this Brother for FMQ?

what about this Brother for FMQ?

Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 AM

I have this machine and love it. It fits my Gracie frame but also works well off the frame. Just straight stitch forward or back, but does lovely freemotion.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewin...D4Y6nUXA.email

a lady here in OK has one she used twice when she bought it..decided it was NOT for her and it has been in a closet ever since...
she is asking $500 for it...

any thoughts, comments, suggestions???

I am looking for something to use just for FMQ!
I have this machine and I bought it just because it has a bigger harp area, which makes a huge difference. I use it for stitch in the ditch but it can do free motion. I am spoiled though because my Bernina ( my all purpose 440 that I use for all other sewing)has a stitch regulator and I use that a lot. However with a little practice I could do it. It has a nice powerful motor and that is a plus as is the automatic thread cutter. Here is the down side. I paid only $599, new, shipped free from an on-line company www.allbrands.com. So she is very high on her pricing. If she would sell it to you at most for $400 it would be worth the deal but as is you are not getting much of a cost reduction for a possibly used machine. If I had it to do over I probably would spend another extra $100 to get the upgraded 1500s as it has a speed control and the is helpful for the free motion quilting. It is not a deal breaker though. Check on line and see where the best bargains are for you. I researched a lot. I don't have a Brother dealer near me but if you do go do a test sew before you commit. Happy sewing and good luck.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:09 PM

It sounds like a good deal to me and from what the more learned among us have shared I'd take it if I were you. I just love that throat space it has. Good Luck :-D :-D :-D
Old 10-22-2011, 02:17 PM

I bet you could talk her down...its used with no warrenty and I agree 400.00 sounds like a good price for it since it is used.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:24 PM

I have this same machine and I love it. I make all of my purses using it and I also do all of my quilt binding with it. I've had it for 8 years and it is a work horse of a machine. If it stopped running tomorrow, I would start looking for another one. By the way, great price too as it looks brand new. I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kellen46

a lady here in OK has one she used twice when she bought it..decided it was NOT for her and it has been in a closet ever since...

I have this machine and I bought it just because it has a bigger harp area, which makes a huge difference. I use it for stitch in the ditch but it can do free motion. I am spoiled though because my Bernina ( my all purpose 440 that I use for all other sewing)has a stitch regulator and I use that a lot. However with a little practice I could do it. It has a nice powerful motor and that is a plus as is the automatic thread cutter. Here is the down side. I paid only $599, new, shipped free from an on-line company www.allbrands.com. So she is very high on her pricing. If she would sell it to you at most for $400 it would be worth the deal but as is you are not getting much of a cost reduction for a possibly used machine. If I had it to do over I probably would spend another extra $100 to get the upgraded 1500s as it has a speed control and the is helpful for the free motion quilting. It is not a deal breaker though. Check on line and see where the best bargains are for you. I researched a lot. I don't have a Brother dealer near me but if you do go do a test sew before you commit. Happy sewing and good luck.
is this the one you have?
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp15289-0073.html
Old 10-22-2011, 07:21 PM

I don't have this machine so I can't comment on that. I was looking at the specs and, if I read it correctly, it doesn't have a needle down position. That is so helpful with FMQ that it is kind of surprising that it doesn't have it. Not trying to be a Negative-Nellie, but wanted to point that out, just in case you consider that important and hadn't noticed that it wasn't available.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:46 AM

is this the one you have?
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp15289-0073.html
Yes it is and I have already done about eight stitch in the ditch tops on it. It sews very fast and very smooth. It is a good addition to my sewing room.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
I don't have this machine so I can't comment on that. I was looking at the specs and, if I read it correctly, it doesn't have a needle down position. That is so helpful with FMQ that it is kind of surprising that it doesn't have it. Not trying to be a Negative-Nellie, but wanted to point that out, just in case you consider that important and hadn't noticed that it wasn't available.
It does have a needle down position option
Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
It does have a needle down position option
Then I must have misunderstood what I read. Thanks for correcting me.