Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is the age you became an empty nester at? >
  • What is the age you became an empty nester at?

• What is the age you became an empty nester at?

Old 08-21-2011, 12:27 PM

I chose to not have children so I've never dealt with the "syndrome"!! I've had the freedom and extra time/money to do a LOT of traveling and do lots of fun things. Kids aren't for everyone but I enjoy them if I can give them back when I'm done!!!
    Old 08-21-2011, 12:29 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by toi123
    I've had my (3) kids, adopted (6) kids (still my kids, just a different method)and now I am the custodial parent of my second generation daughter of one of my adopted kids who had fetal alcohol syndrome. Five of the adopted kids are still here, including the baby of 7 months, so my "empty" nest will probably happen when I leave this nest and go to the big nest in the sky. It's fine with me, though. It's what I do!
    :thumbup:
    Old 08-21-2011, 12:38 PM

At 36...and I spent the next several years working, am now retired and see all of mine more now than I used to! Also have one particular grandchild whom my daughter says is a "failure to launch" kid....sorry, can't identify! Seems like, years ago, they were more than ready to leave home...unlike now!
    Old 08-21-2011, 01:33 PM

Lin - your sad story hits home - you're in my prayers.
    Originally Posted by Linsoblu
    I became a empty nester at the age of 38, but got to see a lot of son on week ends. Now I miss those week ends as he passed away in 1996 at the age of 26.
    Old 08-21-2011, 01:57 PM

My husband and I were both 43. Our son graduated from college and got a job 5 hr. away, and our daughter got married, all in the same summer. It took a bit for my husband and I to be used to being around each other. Now it's 18 years later, and they both, with their families live within 30 miles of us. So thankful they are close! Hubby and I are so used to being together that we pretty much read each other's minds! :shock:
    Old 08-21-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by bob1414
    I chose to not have children so I've never dealt with the "syndrome"!! I've had the freedom and extra time/money to do a LOT of traveling and do lots of fun things. Kids aren't for everyone but I enjoy them if I can give them back when I'm done!!!
    hahaha.........that's pretty much what a grandparent feels a lot of the time! Thankful that they kids get to go home to the parents..... :lol:
    Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 PM

I was 41, the first year was terrible but then we realized how nice it was to do what we wanted when WE wanted... it was great!!! we loved to see both the kids & the GD's but we are glad when they went home, but that ended last year when my daughter graduated & could not find work in her field, so she is living back at home, she does work but not enough with the cost of everything to live on her own. I think it was actually harder to learn to live with her here than it was when she left.. sigh. good & bad both ways I guess!!!......
    Old 08-21-2011, 02:34 PM

I was 51 when my last, my son, moved out. He came back in a year and went to study nursing. He completed that and then met his future wife. My daughter-in-law is a lovely person and I love her like a daughter. They have three children now. We missed all of them when they left, but everyone has their life to live which is a completely normal thing.
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 PM

47 for me.
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:36 PM

Anna our youngest child is 29 and we are still not empty nesters :lol: so don't feel bad about it. Only yesterday in the paper I read that by 2020 here in Australia many families will be living with multiple generations (like the Waltons from that hit series of the 70's & 80's ) due to the high cost of living. This being the case we will never be empty nester's.

Saying this we were empty nesters for a whole year in my late 40's but as the kids are what we call boomerang kids it didn't last long enough for me to get comfortable :lol: