Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the age you became an empty nester at? >

What is the age you became an empty nester at?

What is the age you became an empty nester at?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:41 AM

39 when the first one took off for Univ and 42 when the last one did the same. I am now 65 and my nest has pussycats in it-
:-P
Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I just posted about not becoming an emptynester till after 60 and DH 67. What is the age you will or did become an emptynester at? Did this change your routine or free you up to do new things if you became an emptynester? I just wonder what the average age is and how it affected people. My friends are just becoming emptynesters and I feel a little left behind because I do not have time to do things with them, go back to school or indulge in things like travel or more quilting. Overal I do not mind as we choose for this life and I am happy to have my children but I feel like my friends are going on a different path and I am not sharing in that experience.
63. Know what you mean, but wouldn't give him up for the end of world. Often wonder if he also regrets not having younger parents. There were times when I had that feeling he did.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 AM

I was 41
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 AM

60 then my husband died when I was 63. Hate empty nest even after all these years.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:09 PM

58 and hubby was 65.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
I am 58 and just became a total empty nester this year. I hate it!! I miss the kids coming and going and even though they stop in often it is just to quiet. I got laid off from my job two years ago so just find myself useless and unneeded right now. Hubby is still working, laid back and a homebody. I am even having a hard time sewing lately!! Give me a kick in the rear!! Enjoy your children! They grow up way to fast.
There are children out there that need you desperately. You can't imagine the baggage some of them are dragging around. Get yourself to the nearest elementary school and volunteer to be a reader or a listener. Gather up some old socks and buttons and a glue gun or thread and needles and lead a puppet making workshop with them and have them write and stage plays using their puppets. Show them how to draw a geometric design and quilt a potholder for mom. Start a 4-H club. Soon your home will not be empty.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM

I have 9 more years so let me see that will make my age oh my 67
Old 08-22-2011, 07:46 PM

I became an empty-nester at 38. Sooner than we wanted, but our sons were ready to be on their own. I had just completed my studies and earned my teaching degree. My DH and I worked very hard for the next 18 years with some traveling on my school breaks. We loved going caving and visiting Florida. In 2002 I had to medically retire so we moved to Florida very very close to being on the Gulf of Mexico. I hope your empty-nest years bring you and your DH much happiness. :)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 PM

We should Of been several years ago when I was 42 & hubby was 50 but the Lord saw differently for us as our youngest / 22 will always live at home with us. She has special needs.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:31 PM

DH and I have been empty nesters since our late 30s and haven't regretted it at all. DD and her family moved back in with us for about 6 months after their house burned, they moved out after building again. We get to visit and they come a lot plus we both worked (now we're retired) and moved next to our DD at the lake and we get to see our grandchildren and one great-great grandson a lot and when we want to go some place our place is taken care of for us. So all in all everyone is very happy to be where we are. Sorry didn't mean for this to be so long.