Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the age you became an empty nester at? >

What is the age you became an empty nester at?

What is the age you became an empty nester at?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:33 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I was an empty nester at 52, but have found I'll never stop being an on-call mom. :lol:

Jan in VA
Old 08-20-2011, 10:37 AM

I was 50. But, don't feel bad. My mom had my brother when she was 40. For the first time ever she is alone and she is 73. There have been divorced kids and grandkids living with her at various times. My dad passed away 3 years ago. My brother moved out last week. My mom doesn't like it at all.
Me, I love it. I love it when they visit and love it when they go home to their own happy homes.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:39 AM

52 and it was like being freed from jail.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Originally Posted by Up North
I am 58 and just became a total empty nester this year. I hate it!! I got laid off from my job two years ago so just find myself useless and unneeded right now.
Odly enough I can find myself useless too. I think some of my children getting married has been a bittersweet. They do not need me any more. Fortunately for me I have a nest full to keep me busy. Yes, I am enjoying them everyday. When I wake up they put a smile on my face. I also find I enjoy the actual physical caring for younger children a lot.
I agree them getting married was the hardest part for me. When my son told me he was getting married I cried for days, and listened to May the circle be unbroken over and over. Now he is happy with 4 kids but he does live almost 500 miles away.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:51 AM

I'm 42 and Hubby is 47, our son is 21 still lives at home with no plans of moving out anytime soon, but that is Okay, son and Hubby are best friends and do a lot of stuff together. (once in awhile I wish for some time alone with Hubby and tell him so. then we'll go do something together), but I also get my time for what I enjoy!!!! :D :D
Old 08-20-2011, 10:56 AM

49 when the last one left for college, but I don't consider that an empty nester. I kept the rooms the same for my children until they were married or at least on their own, so I'll say 51 when the last one left college and joined the Marine Corps. I didn't mind it. We raise our children to become independent adults and move out. Life is constantly changing.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Let's see...I've got kids in high school and I'll be at least 62 when my youngest graduates from college. My YOUNGER brother has a grandchild older than my youngest daughter. In fact, he was a grandfather at a younger age than I became a parent. But I love it this way and I'm sure that having kids at a late age keeps me young. We established our careers, bought our house, and traveled before we had children and it worked for us but everybody is different. I would't change a thing.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:04 AM

I was 39, and have enjoyed about every minute of it since they left. As a single mom most of their lives (had 3), I was ready to do something for me. I adore my grandbabies, and all three waited till I was 45 to make me a grammie, now I have 7 of those precious little ones. And I so have time for my DH and quilting.

And my children have become a college professor(ID), nurse(SD) and a Diesel mechanic in Alaska. So very proud of them and where they have gone.

So the empty nest thing didn't get to me much..........I was busy with finishing my degree, working and traveling and keepin my DH happy (and of course sewing and quilting).

Originally Posted by Monika
I was fairly young..........only 40. I love the time for me and hubby.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:05 AM

I was 42 whe my youngers moved out. I had free time to do as I pleased for a short time. Then the grandchildren came, work and older parents, seems I have less time than before.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Oh heart breaking. ))))hugs((((( I am glad your son is such a comfort to you.

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
41, and I missed my son so much. He is fun to be around. We had planned another child or two, but my husband died suddenly when our son was 2 yrs, 5 mos. (I was 25.)