Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the best surface for kitchen counters >

What is the best surface for kitchen counters

What is the best surface for kitchen counters

Old 06-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I have formica counter top and island. I had it before. I make pizza crust and pie dough. I would be afraid the cold stone contertops would not work well with cold stone of any kind.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Vat

I just had all my counters tops (kitchen and bathrooms) done and I chose granite and LOVE it. I picked out the slab I wanted (had to have 2 slabs) and they sent them to my granite man and he cut , polished and installed. They are beautiful and I don't regret buy granite , should never have to change them again, love that. They don't stain and don't have the do any maintenance for 5 years and he explained and showed how simple that step is.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:49 PM

I've enjoyed my off white corian counters and sink, but put the garbage disposal under the larger half of the sink, which is attached and has no places for mold, etc. to hide. We put it in at least 25 years ago. Looks like new.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I have off white corian,I love it. The only thing I wish I didn't have was the off white sink. I like stainless sinks so much better, no stains.
completely agree. I love my corian countertops, not so much the sink.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:17 PM

We put quartz on our new countertops - I love it.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:49 PM

I would do quartz -easy maintenance. I have corian with under mount sink that matches the counter top. I have had Formica in three homes, but "dates" fast. It can burn and peel.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by mirish2 View Post
Thank you for all of the input. I am not excited about the mess and disruption of a redo. I can live with the turq. color, but we are at an age where we will probably need to sell and move in the next few years. This house has steps every, it is a quad-level. I decided that if we have to redo to sell, I might as well enjoy the new counter for a few years.
That was my thinking when I converted from Formica to Granite.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:49 AM

I just got a whole new kitchen. I chose granite for the countertop and I love it.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:47 AM

I am odd woman out as usual.

If I get the house in the divorce I will be redoing the kitchen. It is from the 60's and the original counter tops are formica, white and still looking good.

But when we put in a dishwasher 10 years ago we had to replace the sink cabinet and one beside it. The counter top there is the cheap ready made one from the hardware store. It looks like brown granite, but is very cheap, thin and already wearing out in places.

On the other side of my kitchen I have a stainless steel topped drawer unit from Ikea. I love this counter top. I have a huge wooden cutting board that covers half of it where I roll dough.

My new kitchen will have a 4 foot section of wood, butcher block style counters for baking. A stainless steel section beside the stove for hot pots and probably laminate for the balance of the counters. I do not have room for an island.

I have worked in commercial kitchens/bakeries with stainless and wooden counter tops and I love the function of them.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

We had formica when we moved in here about 20 years ago. to me it wasn't maintenance free. I had to watch what was put on it (no hot pots) and worry about stains. I spent a good amount of time polishing it to get it to look the way I wanted. Maybe they have been improved. We had the Formica Brand. About 4 years ago put in granite. I like it a lot. I only sealed it once when it was installed. I clean it with a cleaner/polish all in one and have no stains. Water still beads on it instead of soaking in. I haven't cracked any dishes on it and I do like that if I put a piece of frozen meat or fish on it, it will thaw very quickly. We are redoing a kitchen in a house we are moving into later this year, in another state (son is managing the kitchen redo) and we are going for quartz. That will be even more maintenance free.