Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what brand sewing machine to buy?? >

what brand sewing machine to buy??

what brand sewing machine to buy??

Old 05-23-2023, 02:05 PM

Default what brand sewing machine to buy??

Hi! I'm back after many years, wondering what brand of machine to get to replace my Bernina who's computer screen no longer functions. She is an Artista 180 and needs to retire, I'm afraid. No more wonderful sewing machine stores to wander around shopping for the best fit. Don't want to order one without any knowledge about brands and what to look for, and what to avoid. Oh dear. I am an old lady with not too many sewing years ahead of me, but doggone it - I'm not giving up yet! Have been considering a Janome, but have never even touched one. Where to start? If someone one this wonderful board can point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful!! Thank you!
Purl
Old 05-23-2023, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

Hi Purl, this is really tough to answer. A lot depends on what features you want, how much you want to spend, etc. Isn't there any store in your area where you can test drive different brands?
I don't know anything about Janome but a lot of others could help you with that. I have a high end Bernina and a mechanical Juki. I love them both.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:04 PM

I have 2 Artista 180's. When my original machine's screen started getting foggy, I started looking and found one at an estate sale for $300. Works like a charm. It is hard to say. A lot of people like Janome's but other than a New Home I have 35 years ago, I don't know much about them. I, too, suggest going to trying out machines before you buy. It really helps.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:52 AM

I feel your pain! My Elna (now made by Janome) has not been working as well as I'd like and I'm thinking about a new machine, too. But we only have a Bernina dealer close by, and they are far too expensive for me. I have been reading up on Brother and Baby Lock machines. There's a dealer an hour and a half away so I may make a journey over sometime this summer to try them out. Will be curious to learn what you end up with.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:43 AM

Thanks for getting back to me ! I, am used to having a Bernina. Had a lovely 930 which I gifted to a daughter along with a Bernina serger, and bought an Artista 180 with embroidery module. The Artista gave up just before Christmas. We live in beautiful rural Wisconsin and there are no sewing shops of any kind. No fabric shops. Nothing. We lost all the lovely little places when WalMart came to town. They carry a few Singers. In boxes, do not touch. There is a local Singer repair shop that is open a few months each summer, but she isn't too interested and doesn't offer much. It is a problem. Haven't seen a Juki, but will do some research. I would like a mechanical heavy duty fairly simple machine not over $500. I figure I have about 5 more sewing years left if I'm lucky and no one waiting to adopt my machines. Can't handle any more technology.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:16 PM

Does the machine have to be a new one or would a mechanical used machine suffice? I've mentioned this as an option to think about. There are plenty of decent used machines out there. You can check craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Even eBay has them.
I've recently purchased two Singers, one is a vintage 201-2 built in 1951 and the other is an antique (or almost antique) model 66 treadle built in 1923. They are both straight stitch only, though I do have a buttonhole and zig zag attachment that will work on both machines. I love these machines so much better than the Brother I bought about 6 years ago. They stitch beautifully, though they do require oiling frequently.

Shari
Old 05-24-2023, 04:27 PM

My sister bought a Brother quilting machine from Costco years ago. It came with it's own extension table. And it lasted for a very long time. If you buy one at Walmart, or thru Walmart.com you can return it if you don't like it. They are very easy to use machines, very small learning curve. Personally I like older Singers - my 1950 15-91 in its cabinet works well and I love my 1947 Singer Featherweight for traveling. Both run well and I can do the maintenance.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:59 AM

I would buy whatever machine that I could get serviced in your area.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Brother machines are good right out of the box. You might find a PQ1500 straight stitch in your price range maybe on Amazon or through an online seller. Mine have never needed service - I oil and clean them.