What came first?

Old 09-29-2021, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Default What came first?

I saw a quilt pattern that interests me. Then I saw the same design with a tutorial on YouTube. Did the person that has the pattern for sale copy the YouTube video or did the YouTube video copy the pattern? It’s a slippery slope out there in quilt patterns!
Old 09-29-2021, 07:34 AM

Copyright laws governing quilt patterns are so confusing to me. I have posted a couple of pictures asking the members to help me identify the pattern. They were from non-quilt magazines. This board removed them saying I violated copyright laws. They never stated how I could have posted them legally. This was several years ago. This is just one example of my not being able to understand the laws.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:51 AM

I was told via private message a long time ago. According to the rules of this forum no copyrighted material can be posted. i.e. photos( from your computer). However you can post a link to an article, photo from a site in one's post.

Example if I were to post a photo of a quilt from by a designer that was saved to my computer. That is a no-no. But if I posted a link to the picture from their website or a quilting magazine site. It is alright.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:42 PM

I heard one designer who was asked if it bothered her that someone was teaching classes using her embellishment techniques. She said that she didn't mind because there was really nothing new under th sun and she had gotten most of her embellishments and ideas from other work.