Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What did you do with your wedding dress? >

What did you do with your wedding dress?

What did you do with your wedding dress?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Mine's in the attic, and I wish I thought I could still wear it!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:32 PM

I had a turquoise silk sheath that I wore several times afterwards. Then after my first child it wouldn't fit me anymore so I guess I donated it. My Dad had died about a year before we married and I decided I would not go with a big "white" wedding if he couldn't be there.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 PM

What a lovely idea - I just may do that after 45 years!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:46 PM

first wedding- gave it to my friend- she was collecting them (why? I don't know. I should ask her) Wish I had kept it- it was on the cover of Bride magazine and was so so pretty. Dumped the groom- dirtbag. Second wedding- it's in the closet in the guest room. dd wanted to wear it but I talked her out of it- I didn't want to alter it (and it wasn't from my marriage to her Dad- hubby #1).

I'd like to wear it to our 20th anniversary. We are going to renew our vows- no one was there with us, just 2 friends. Our children and my family were mad at us. Now I need to lose the 35 lbs. I've gained in 18 years.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by sandyo
After 20 years of hanging in the closet I made an angel for the top of my christmas tree. Makes me happy every year to put it on the tree. Have some fabric left will make angels or something for children some day.
What a lovely idea - just may do that after 45 years!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Originally Posted by tuesy
Mine was in my Ex's attic until he met the *&@$ and when they got married she wore MY wedding dress.
Totally ruined it for my DD, so when I did get it back I gave it away!!
No way!!! Too weird. Reminds me of a mail order bride story. the guys wife had died but he wanted a woman that fit her old clothes so he did not have to buy new clothes for his new mail order bride. Too weird in my opinion.
Yeah, tell me about it. I'm like WTF is wrong with you woman that you would wear the Ex wife's dress. What's even more strange is that my Ex knew it was my dress, but said nothing.. pretty sick if you ask me..

My eldest DD told me after cause she knew I would go balastic on this idiotic woman. DD said she ruined it (the dress) for her and she would never wear it. So it was history when I finally got it back!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:01 PM

Mine came from a Thrift Store cost me more to have it cleaned for the wedding than it did to buy it I think $50. My maid of honor wore my prom dress which was a 99 cent dress even my flowers were "used" except the ones I carried. Now it hangs in my closet didn't even have it cleaned afterwards. Still married 26 years later now days they spent hundreds/thousands of dollars for what?? LOVE I think not.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Not to derail the subject, but is there anyone besides me who wishes the old style wedding dress would come back? I don't mean poufy and frilly, just MODEST. I am tired of seeing everyone's shoulders and cleavage. That stuff is for when you are trying to get a man, you presumably have one as you are walking down the aisle, so cover up a little. JMHO, hope I haven't offended anyone.
I completely agree. When I looked for the dress for my wedding last year, every dress looked the same to me - strapless with beading on the bodice. I just didn't want to look like every other bride. Also, I never wear strapless in my normal life, so it didn't make sense for me to wear strapless on my wedding day. I finally found a brides maid dress in the exact style I wanted and just ordered it in white. Also, it was much cheaper to buy and to have altered.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:36 PM

Hannajo- waht a practical idea! I know a little tiny bride who found a prom dress and wore that as her wedding dress and it was beautiful.
I love the angel idea.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I gave mine back. I borrowed a hand crocheted floor length gown with train. It weighed a ton but boy was it beautiful.
I was just thinking about your dress while I reading this thread. You had posted the picture and I thought it was absolutely beautiful!

Margie