Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What to do with Hand Embroidery >

What to do with Hand Embroidery

What to do with Hand Embroidery

Old 06-16-2014, 05:27 AM

Oh, I can hardly wait until you tell/show us how much your mother loves these!! This is a treasure story!!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:24 AM

I still have some of those pillow cases my mom made. They are lovely and well used. I crochet with yarn, but so admire those who, like one of my sisters, can create the delicate thread crochet pieces.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
Riverton Quilter, now that you mentioned it, I do remember my Mom crocheting an edge on these. That was so many years ago that I had just forgotten. Thank you so much for responding as you have resolved my problem.
You could purchase pre made cotton lace and hand stitch them to the edges if you are crochet challenged.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:16 AM

I have many pillowcases that my Mom hand embroidered and crocheted the edges. I use them with a quilt I made featuring appliqued flower baskets. I have many items my Mom embroiderd/crocheted. It's on my bucket list of quilts to incorporate them into a quilt.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:56 PM

it is not just the employees who go shopping, but the "mobile" patients. they go in and out of the rooms, taking what they find interesting.....
Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Riverton Quilter View Post
The cases usually were finished with a crochet edging. The stitching made it easier for a small crochet hook to be used. I have many sets of these made by my grandmother.
I embroidered a set of pillowcases when I was in my teens and my grandmother finished the edges by crochet. I don't crochet, so don't know how she did it, but it's been 40 years and they still look great. You are blessed to still have your mother.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:07 PM

Please do not leave them at the nursing home. I made a fleece throw for my late sister-in-law and it disappeared right away. My niece looked in every room and found it on someone else's bed. She took it home and washed it and then just kept it in her car for her mother to use when she was transported to the doctor.