Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do I do with small scraps? >

What do I do with small scraps?

What do I do with small scraps?

Old 09-01-2020, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I don't save scraps less than 2". I love making quilts but, have no patience or desire to use anything smaller.
I don’t want to work with small scraps either but I know people who do. I’ve seen small scraps sewn together on a foundation and used for quilt border. Maybe I would do that.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:18 AM
mac

I just thought of another idea. I don't remember if was mosaic quilting that they called it, but they put a bunch of very small fabric pieces together like Tranum said on muslin and when they liked what they had, they used dots of washable glue to glue the pieces down. Then they quilted the heck out of it to hold the pieces down.
I could see that if you used squares of muslin and did this technique that they would make great potholders. It would be a very unique potholder and maybe great works of art. I thought this would also be fun because you could really use your imagination and even learn more about how different colors worked together or didn't work together, as the case may be. It would also be great practice pieces for machine quilting. With Christmas coming up, they would make nice hostess gifts or Christmas presents.
One of my friends did a rather large picture of her dogs using a similar method to this and put netting over the top of the pieces. It turned out beautifully and she won a prize for her wall-hanging. I wish I had a picture I could show you.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:41 AM

how about small zipper or snapped purses, makeup & jewelry bags
Old 09-02-2020, 04:07 AM

I've heard there are some places you can donate scraps to (and thread bits and other cotton things). I think they make insulation for houses out of these recycled materials. don't know much more than that, but maybe it will give you a place to start.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:14 AM

Today's Quilt Show newsletter just featured a quilt made entirely from scraps. It's very impressive:

https://thequiltshow.com/daily-blog/...bae13bfcb46658
Old 09-02-2020, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Recently I watched a video from Missouri Star Quilt Co and Jenny Doan was sewing small scraps together randomly and when she felt the patchwork was big enough she squared it off. She said she saves scraps as small as 1 inch. This may be a way to use up all of your scraps.
My favorite quilts are scrap quilts. This idea appeals to me so much!! I did the Leah Day Friendship quilt along and made 9 of the blocks using small pieces. I think the smallest was 1.5 inches. I did enjoy that project.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:51 AM

You could send them to me I will pay postage plus $5 for your time and trouble for high-quality, 100% cotton scraps of any size. PM me if you are interested.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:06 AM

I appreciate all these ideas! I have a friend who makes crumb quilts, and she gets those small pieces, but what I have here is really just slightly bigger than what goes in the thread catcher. Plus extra batting cut into small pieces. I really thought I could donate it to someone to do something with, but it's really not worth boxing and mailing. I got excited about the idea of pillows for shelters, but washing would be a problem. I fear these pieces will not find a new home.