Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do with wooden spools?

What to do with wooden spools?

I have several dozen wooden spools and haven't been able to come with a creative way to use/display them. Any suggestions?

I have mine in a clear glass vase on top of my bookcase.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I guess it depends on how big they are. I saw a really cute idea where you took the small-ish one & put them in a canning jar. Then they took a clear kinda flower pot-looking votive holder in the top & put a candle in it. Does that make any sense? It was really cute! Or you could just get a nice basket & put them in it.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Sorry - no help here. I just toss them. Don't really have much room for display stuff, especially in the sewing room. A girl can dream, can't she?

I saw a cute post somewhere. They had wrapped a strip of fabric around the spools and then strung them together for a garland.

Power Poster
    SueDor

I've got a few sitting on a shelf in my sewing room - between other things.

Have lots in a drawer that I want to do something with them.

I have a couple of Christmas ornaments made out of spools.

I looked at the garland SueDor posted and it is cute - would be nice on a Christmas tree.

Use the spool as a base for a mushroom shaped pin cushion.

soooo cute! I recently made curtains with sewing moif material....the garland would make a real cute tieback!!!

I saw a wreath made of spools!

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    I saw a cute post somewhere. They had wrapped a strip of fabric around the spools and then strung them together for a garland.
    Cute idea that I think I'll copy. I'm a co-coordinator of my guild's Project Pillowcases, at our recent guild show we had an outdoor demo table that had a string of mini pillowcases hanging across the canopy over our table. I think I row or two of decorated spools would add another cute note to our future display.

Don't know about a modern use - my dad nailed a wooden spool onto screen doors and utility doors etc., at just the right height for me to open without adult assistance when I was a child. I still have fond memories of grabbing the spool to get indoors. Now I have boxes of them and no heart to throw them away. The schools get the plastic ones.
    I had a French knitting set-up with one of them. Four nails were around the spindle hole and the yarn went through the centre.

I have a cabinet in my sewing room; I had DH cut the big ones in half and used them for the door knobs. Also used them for drawer handles. When I have left over floss from tying a quilt, I put the left over on the wooden spools to save it in a basket for later uses.

Oh my, where do you get wooden spools?? Are they the big "antique" spools???
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    Sorry - no help here. I just toss them. Don't really have much room for display stuff, especially in the sewing room. A girl can dream, can't she?
    Oh my, wooden spools tossed ???? I'm having a heart attack! LOL

My idea .... I'm saving (and collecting too) them to make a wreath out of spools ... all sizes, with or without thread. I've seen these - they're adorable!
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    I never have had any ideas about what to do with the empty spools. Some I've tossed, others are laying around. Thanks for the ideas even with little space, I think I can do something with them now. Thanks.
    Abiding in the Vine

Get you a display frame, one that has a space between the glass and the back?? drop them in the top to tumble around and hang it on your wall.

Also I have some strung on a piece of elastic that 2 daughters, a granddaughter and grandson teethed on; they are still on the elastic (had to replace it along the way, elastic that is) and they now live in a clear old jug in the quilting room.

delma

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
    Oh my, wooden spools tossed ???? I'm having a heart attack! LOL

My idea .... I'm saving (and collecting too) them to make a wreath out of spools ... all sizes, with or without thread. I've seen these - they're adorable!

I'm with MaryMo... GASP.... " tossed wooden spools!!!" I just love the wooden spools.. I purchase them at garage sales, and goodwill when I can fine them... I'm collecting mine to create a wall border sitting them on yard stick.... for now, until I collect enough I have them in large glass vases as display..... I'll be collecting for a years I guess.. but thats my imagine of using them.... anyone that doesn't want wooden spools ( commercial or traditional home spools ) can send them to me!!! I"ll gladly adopt them and love [email protected][email protected]

As children we made doll's out of them. Using 2 each for arms and legs, One for head and one or maybe two for body. Always put a button at the end to hold together.When put to gether with heavy rubber bands they are a lot of fun.

Oh my! I am tired - up since 5, roasted a pork loin, planted flowers, laundry, wash the car and our granddaughter is here. Maybe that's the reason I thought this topic was "wooden spoons"! I was going to say use them!! Why put them up in a jar?

Blog Entries
    I probably have over 1,000 wooden spools...I have an ornamental trunk full and several large jars full...just love them..started collecting several years ago when they were cheap and plentiful at thrift stores and garage sales..I just display them around in my sewing room..Love some of the ideas posted here...I collect all vintage sewing items...yardsticks...buttons..pincushions...treadl e sewing machine drawers...and thimbles ...just to name a few...may have to reduce the size of these pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by sak658; 05-25-2012 at 10:57 AM.

I saw a small box made from them - alternate a row of spools with old yard sticks, glue them in 4 panels however deep you want the box (spools glued end to end and ruler separates the rows of spools) and then glue the panels together. They spray painted the spools first. It was cute.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

door stops i live in a100+yr house they have been a topic to talk about

Blog Entries
    There used to be a book called "How to do nothing with nobody alone with yourself". It had directions for making a car out of a wooden spool. You make a washer out of a sliver of soap or the paraffin from the top of a jam jar if you have a really big spool. You thread a rubber band through the hole of the spool with a broken off wooden matchstick on one end to hold it in place, the washer with a long matchstick on the outside of the other end(break off the tip). Wind it up and the long match will push the spool around. Amusing for the grandchildren.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

Cute, cute!! Great idea for my stitchers group when they come to visit my house next time!!! thank you for the idea.
    Chrystina
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrystinapCreations

I use a glass jar with screw-top metal lid from Target (housewares section). They have them in three sizes if I remember correctly, so you can mix and match depending on your needs. They look like remakes of jars from long ago, so have that old-fashioned look to them, but clean enough lines to be contemporary as well. I have a small one for spools and a larger one for ribbons. They have flat tops so you could stack them if desired.

Name:  Screen shot 2012-05-26 at 8.06.09 AM.png
Views: 267
Size:  19.8 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast