Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Do?

Many of you have a TV in your sewing room, something I don't have because I don't watch much TV. I normaly have my radio tuned to CBC which is a greaf talk station with news, science shows,comedy etc. Surfin' the net the other day I found an incredilbe site! Thousands of FREE audio books. I'm picking up a new MP3 player with more capacity and going on a downloading spree. This site has all the classics plus thousands more I've never heard of but am willing to give a try.

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/

I listen to audio books while I'm hand quilting - if I'm listening to a good one the time flies by.

Thanks for the link!

I usually have the tv on, because I sew in the living room, but I don't really know it is on I am concentrating so much. Beginner quilter and really make too many mistakes not to pay immense concentration. However, I love the audio book idea and could see using that in the car. Thanks ever so much for the link.

I usually have something on. If I'm upstairs sewing it's usually a boom box with gospel bluegrass playing. If I'm sewing downstairs it's usually the tv in the background and my back is to it. Usually it's something that can just be listened to without watching: In Session, a rerun of NCIS, Law & Order, Cold Case or The Closer that I've seen at least 7 times.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    have a flat screen with a built in dvd player on ann adjustable arm so I can move the screen so it is viewable anywhere in my room.. I grab a dvd - preferably a series of some kind and off i go quilting...

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    have a flat screen with a built in dvd player on ann adjustable arm so I can move the screen so it is viewable anywhere in my room.. I grab a dvd - preferably a series of some kind and off i go quilting...
    ditto I'm wondering if you can wear dvd's out because I put the same ones in all the time because I don't have to pay attention. We also have a bunch of music channels but I usually end up dancing to that :)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    OHHH thank you!!!!!!!!!! I have 2 Ipods and love audiobooks!
    Thanks again!
    OH- Itunes also has free books- most are the classics and open to the public domain. They are not professional narrators like the ones you buy or get at the library but some are very good.

I have a tv because I can't get radio in this room....and I've tried 4 radios!!! Thanks for the link, I'm sick of the tv and this will be a wonderful diversion!!!

I have a tv and my kids or friends usually watch and I sew. I like having the tv in the studio because that way I can sew when they watch. I like the company too.

Wow what a great idea to listen to books. I don't know how you can watch something on t.v. while running a sewing machine. I'd make a mess out of it.

now live in Chandler, AZ, but a Boston native
    My computer desk is also in my quilt studio so I wheel back and forth on my hardwood floor (pulled the carpet up 4 years ago - best thing I ever did). I have iTunes on my computer having loaded up over 50 CDs. So I usually just put it on iTunes DJ which randomly picks from all my favorites or I can choose to just hear Sting, Chris Botti, Josh Grobin, Elton John, etc. not to mention all my favorite female vocalists... Sarah Brightman, Loreena McKennett, Charlotte Church, Corinne Bailey Ray, Linda Eder, or tons of Irish music! Ok, I'm done!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link. I just listen to the radio or listen to the dogs howl while i sew. They don't like the sound of my machine or they think the house should always be quiet.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    My quilting corner is at one end of our bedroom, and the tv & bed at the other. I keep the tv in my room on. I'm hard-of-hearing, so can't understand it unless I am in front of it, but still like it on. It fills my ears with softness.

Okay -- I don't understand. It say FREE audio books but with a 14 day trial!! I read down below and you have to join and pay $14.95 a month!!!!!!! How is that FREE???

now live in Chandler, AZ, but a Boston native
    Quote Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
    Thanks for the link. I just listen to the radio or listen to the dogs howl while i sew. They don't like the sound of my machine or they think the house should always be quiet.
    Lucky you in Gastonia!! I'll never forget going to MaryJo's a couple of times when we traveled cross-county AZ to MA! It's a paradise, but then when I lived in MA it only took 90 minutes to go to Keepsake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    Okay -- I don't understand. It say FREE audio books but with a 14 day trial!! I read down below and you have to join and pay $14.95 a month!!!!!!! How is that FREE???
    Not sure what you are refering to, I have already downloaded dozens of books am currently listening to one....you have me baffled :shock:

I listen to Podcasts (mainly quilting and knitting) or audiobooks I get from the library.

Tanesha

Blog Entries
    I haven't found any where that says you have to pay anything. I just downloaded A Christmas Carol.

I see now where it says 14.95,that's for another site advertising on the free book site.

I listen to a Christian Music station, but my Husband bought me an Ipod for Christmas and a TV for the room...the Ipod I wanted, but the TV is just OK...I guess I can put on the news now and then and maybe some music channel, but I can't watch and sew at all!

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Ya'll have lost me on the itunes, ipod and even down loading books/movies! I have not moved into that world yet but it sounds interesting. By time I figured it out, it will be the old stuff. I still have cassettes!

Cyn..come on over to the "dark side" sister! :-)

Seriously, all the 'free" and interesting stuff you can download to an iPod (or most MP3 players I imagine) makes it worth it!

Tanesha

Thanks for the link! Now , I don't have an mp3 or Ipod...I would like to have one, but don't know what to buy. How much storage do I need for books and music? What brand would you recommend?

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyGardenMom
    Cyn..come on over to the "dark side" sister! :-)

Seriously, all the 'free" and interesting stuff you can download to an iPod (or most MP3 players I imagine) makes it worth it!

Tanesha
    Tanesha, I'd love to join you but I'm trying to "go to the lite" side (pun intended) :) I believe following your path has me buying another thing to fill my space. Then it will have to have a cord that will need to plug in and then it will need a case which I will need to buy until I can get motivated to make a quilty thing to put it in. Then I will need to clear off a space to put the thing so it doesn't get lost under all the other things I have laying around. Then I will be forced by my curiosity to look for the latest attachment or something to be cool that goes with it and it will get out of hand like everything else I seem to touch. I'm a little bit compulsive if you can't tell and I have way too much time on my hands although I am busy all day and half the night :) I haven't been diagnosed yet and I'm not going to if I can help it-lol. This board has actually kept me out of stores somewhat and I appreciate it :)

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I still order online but that doesn't count so far :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast