Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what do you hope your kids remember the most about you? >

what do you hope your kids remember the most about you?

what do you hope your kids remember the most about you?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 AM

That I love them more then anything and I would back them up in all their decisions (as long as they were legal) in life, all I ever want is for them to be happy, healthy and loved. That is what we all strive for.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 AM

My love, patience, the long walks in the woods. the talks we had abut life.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
what would you like your kids to remember you most for? trying to always be there for them, love, laughter & being fair, but not necessarily in that order!
ALL THE GOOD TIME BECAUSE TO OFTEN THE BAD TIMES ARE
WHAT COME TO MIND
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
what would you like your kids to remember you most for? trying to always be there for them, love, laughter & being fair, but not necessarily in that order!
How much I love them. How very proud I am of them. Never regret their mistakes or think I was disappointed in them because I don't ever want them living with regrets. Life is too short to live with regrets. When you make a mistake, learn from it and do better the next time. Remember the good times and treasure them and forget the bad times and move on. Treasure my quilts but use them freely as they were made with love and they tell me that they feel that love everytime they use them and they don't want to use anything else.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I would want them to remember I always chose the right way not the easiest way.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM

My kids are all grown and have kids of their own.Just hope they know how much I love them.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM

One tough lesson I learned about this was with my son's first wife. Her Dad, a retired minister, was supposed to perform the wedding ceremony but died 6 months before their wedding. She loved him dearly and grieved so hard over him that she wasn't able to enjoy her marriage or life in any form. Surprisingly enough, she did go through with the wedding and battled her depression hard but she was beating herself up for all the times she was "bad and hurt and disappointed her parents." So much so that she didn't realize how very much they loved her and how very proud they were of her. The challenges she gave them were just normal parts of growing up and they accepted it because turned into a fine young woman. The marriage didn't survive because she just couldn't cope for the 5 years of their marriage and finally our son had enough. He tried to get her into grief counseling, he was there for her but she was having such a rough go. I hope and pray that our two children never go through that heartache as we've tried to let them know that mistakes are a part of growing up and maturing and do make who we are. We don't dwell on those mistakes but try to learn from them and be better for the learning from these mistakes. I'm very so proud of them and hopefully they will know. No matter how tough things get with our precious children and grandchildren, we need to let them know we didn't like what they did but we do love them.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:04 PM

You are a wise woman, GrammaPatty
Old 04-29-2010, 04:12 PM

That no matter what ... the last thing I said to them is: "I love you."
Old 04-29-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nanjun
You are a wise woman, GrammaPatty
Don't know about that but I've tried to learn along the way. A very wise woman told me, when I was a very young Mom of 2, to never send my husband or children off with angry words between us because those could be the last words I would get to say to them and the last things they'd hear. She and her husband quarreled one morning before he headed out to work in the fields and a pick up truck hit his tractor from behind killing her husband and it haunted her the rest of her life that their last words were a quarrel and not "I love you." She lived a good 20 years after his accident and was never able to put that behind her. I'm sure he knew she loved him as they had a good happy marriage but along with all the good things in their lives, the thing that haunted and hurt here was that last quarrel. It's a shame and so sad and my heart ached for her but I took her words to heart. I'm far from perfect and my family will know beyond a doubt when I'm unhappy with them but I also let them know beyond a doubt that it's ok for them to be unhappy to but we need to know that we do love one another no matter what. That's priceless and precious!