Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What Do You Use for Dry Hands? >

What Do You Use for Dry Hands?

What Do You Use for Dry Hands?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 AM

I use gold bond http://www.google.com/products/catal...wBA#ps-sellers
Old 10-29-2010, 05:44 AM

there is an old product, still available, called "new skin". it has antiseptic qualities, and works much like superglue--but it's made for using on sores and cuts. it has the advantage of being made for the purpose, so it is clean and uncontaminated. ( i use superglue on cracked fingernails) it works to protect and heal. it's a little smelly--kind of like cloves--but it helps!

My Dr. recommended the same product. But if my hands get really bad it takes several days for them to heal. Right now my 3rd finger on my right hand and my left thumb simply are not healing. They are sore open wounds. They look like hamburger. I have to put bandaids on to try to heal them, and yes, I do the glove thing at night also. So if I can't get them to heal, I will sometimes put super glue on them to keep them from cracking further.[/quote]
Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 AM

On the Dr. Oz show, someone suggested cream or lotion with Vitamin C(ascorbic acid)for collagen repair - I can't find any anywhere. It was supposed to be at the Dollar store, but not the ones here...any suggestions?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I use a cream that I found at Dollar Tree and it is the best I have ever used. Trust me I have tried everything under the sun. I have eczema and this is the best I have found. It is a skin softener with Vitamin E called creamy petroleum jelly and it does absorb quickly. I had a problem with my hands and feet getting so dry and cracked that they would bleed and hurt. Now I don't have that problem if I use it everyday. It doesn't have a perfumy smell, I can't use anything perfumy. Here is a pic of the bottle. It is the best bang for my buck.
I have used this too and it is pretty good.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
Do you pre-wash your fabric? I had to start because some of the chemicals were really bothering my hands. When they got really bad I had to put Vaseline on and cover with white gloves at night. It has gotten better since I started washing my fabrics, but if I am so lucky as to get to sew for several days in a row, they still get really dry.
FYI, some of the chemicals used for permanent press are formaldehyde, and we all know the dangers of that. There were years back in the 1970's that I could not go into a fabric store without getting an extreme sore throat from all the off gassing formaldehyde. It's better now, but I am with you, wash those fabrics. I've heard glycerine helps.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM

I've tried them all and finally found one Gold Bond Ultimate The really nice thing is that it does not leave a greasy film so no rubbing off on fabric and I can hold a needle, :)
Old 10-29-2010, 12:27 PM

I use vaseline at night with gloves. Works like a dream.
My husband used to wash windows and that was the only thing that kept his hands from bleeding (he washed windows to put himself thru college 55 years ago).
Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
My doctor recomends a product called Aqauphor Healing Ointment made by Eucerin and is sold at walmart. It is like vaseline but much better. It healed my cracked hands and all my fingers. I realy reccomend this product Highly.
A dermatologist has recommended this Aquaphor to my mother. I've been using it and I love it.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:35 PM

I use and like the Silicone Glove from Avon. It works real good too. My hands also get chapped and hurt and start to bleed.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:47 PM

My daughter also sells Beauti Control and I agree with you that it is the best ever cream for hands.