Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What Do You Use for Dry Hands? >

What Do You Use for Dry Hands?

What Do You Use for Dry Hands?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 PM

I'd love to try a sample too. My hands are so bad, they are cracking Let me know if I can give you my address. Then if I like it I'll order from your dght. Thanks !!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:49 PM

In the winter I use a product called Chanvre Protector, it's a hemp based cream for extremely dry skin. I love it because it doesn't leave your hands greasy. My daughter got it for me from the Body Shop I think.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:05 PM

Try using a hot wax bath on your skin and then any regular hand cream the wax pulls off the dry skin and lets the cream get right to the skin you are trying save.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:30 PM

Yesterday on Dr Oz ... for dry cracked heals, he says to slather on an oil based moisturizer at night b4 bed, don't rub in completely, let it be 'slathery', wrap in plastic wrap then put on socks. Do this 3 nights in a row and 4th day your feet will be supple.

he didn't say anything about dry hands.

Since the last posting on this I've been using Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy with Soothing Essentials ... had a coupon for it at Costco. And my hands, arms and legs are nice and smooth and soft.

But I do want to try that homemade version to give as Christmas gifts.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 10-28-2010, 02:42 PM

I haven't seen this on here, but every day I use my Dr. Scholl's hot wax treatment. It has helped with the pain from artheritis in my hands and the side benefit is my nails are stronger and my hands are not nearly as dry.I also use every good quality lotion I can find. Sox on my hands and feet all night after applying a good layer of silicone glove by avon. The hot wax deal is soooo wonderful!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 PM

crisco,or warm olive oil.Put it on at night before bed with clean white cotton socks,works for me.White socks for your hands
Old 10-28-2010, 03:58 PM

I remember that the dermatologist treating my father's skin cancer said to find a lotion or cream with urea as one of the main ingredients. Offhand I can't think of any brand names, but I do remember they were few and far between.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:18 PM

Every night as I head to bed use eucerin cream not lotion and as a nurse use it sometimes during day after countless hand washings, especially during cold months. Works wonders for me.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 PM

I have extremely dry skin because of a genetic inheritance...lucky me. The best I have tried is what I think is an Australian product called Derma Drate, made by Dermatech laboratories. If you can't get that one, the next best thing is Urea cream or a product with that ingredient in it. Sorbolene cream and aqueous cream are useful, but you need to keep applying them. I have also found Manuka honey cream from New Zealand very good. Hope this is useful advice. I found it hard to get stuff that worked when I lived overseas.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:29 PM

Zim's Crack Creme is fantastic. Usually find it in a drugstore. I'm a nurse who uses lots of plastic gloves which dry out my hand terribly. Usually use this all winter.

Pat