Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What do you use to keep tennis shoes clean?

I have a nice new expensive pair of shoes to accomodate a problem with my foot. I wear them everywhere, so I'd like to keep them nice. I don't want to put them in the washer, but would prefer a spray-on wipe-off product. Do any of you know what would work, and do you have any favorite methods or products?

What are they made of?

Banned
    i put our sneakers in the washer machine, Air dry.

Use the "Awesome" cleaner that everyone has been talking about! You get it at the Dollar store!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use Magic Erasers on leather tennis shoes and on the toe caps of "retro" Converse high tops.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    you could call your local shoe store, and ask them. God bless. Penny

Blog Entries
    You might practice with an older pair of shoes to get the hang of it before you do your new ones.
    Take them to the sink with an old toothbrush or fingernail brush. Start with a soft bristle brush, go to a hard bristle later if you need to.
    Use any liquid soap. With your sink sprayer get the shoe wet (we are just talking outside, not inside.). Put the liquid soap on the shoe and rub with the brush. You might start with just a cloth on the shoe but use the brush on the sole and band between the shoe and the sole.
    Scrub a bit, rinse, scrub, rinse. The soap will continue to loosen the dirt and you rinse it away. Don't scrub hard at all on the shoe, it can go to deep into the shoe. I wear white reeboks.

Blog Entries
    Most shoe stores carry cleaners/conditioner for leather shoes.

Generally I put mine in the washer and let air dry. If they have fabric on them I use a bit of Spray N Wash. They come looking like new. When I worked in a Drs office I used to use bathroom cleaner like Scrubbing Bubbles and then white shoe polish. The polish was from a shoe store and rather expensive but did the job. I like the washer because it gets rid of any odor from sweaty feet.

Spray starch. Spray shoes until completely wet with starch. Let dry. Do this after each wash and the shoes are dry.
    Dirt will come out along with the starch when washed.
    Air drying leaves shoes with a clean smell.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

GREAT question, and awesome answers! I'll be trying out all these suggestions myself.

My problem is more with the odor inside. I find Dr. Scholl's odor eater spray works well but causes the insoles to shrink. Baking soda makes my feet peel and doesn't get all the odor. Anyone have good tips or advice for this?

All great tips, but one of the best things my mother taught me (she was in the fashion/shoe retail business) was to never wear the same shoe two days running. I know it's a pain when you have a favourite pair, but it does help them last longer, is better for your feet and they will not get so sweat soaked that they smell (our feet put out more sweat than you would think).

Lisanne, you don't say what kind of shoes you are talking about, but if you pour baking soda with a few drops of lavendar oil in an old sock and stuff that in the shoe after you have wiped it out with a very dilute vinegar and water solution and dried thoroughly that should work.

Sorry (hate spelling mistakes) LAVENDER.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Oh my, I hope you don"t read my posts!! I never think to check for spelling and punctuation before hitting send, and can't believe how many mistakes I make. My fingers and brain work at different speeds.LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Oh my, I hope you don"t read my posts!! I never think to check for spelling and punctuation before hitting send, and can't believe how many mistakes I make. My fingers and brain work at different speeds.LOL
    :thumbup: Don't worry about it. If we don't get the general jest of it we will ask questions. When I notice mine I spell check them just because I am getting older and want to keep my mind sharp as long as I can. I give myself room for senior moments so when you see me mis-spell a word please just ignore it. :oops:

I was going to say, dont wear the same shoes two days in a row either!

My grandma used to put wax on her shoes. I believe it was the same kind you use on a car. She did this on the leather parts when she first got the shoe. It wouldn't work if the shoe was already dirty.

For smelly shoes, try using deodorant on your feet. I don't know from personal experience, but heard that it can help.

These are all good tips about tennies! I tend to get the toes dirty first. Must be the way I walk.

Blog Entries
    great suggestions, thanks to everyone