Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What I heard on the radio this morning about clothing. >

What I heard on the radio this morning about clothing.

What I heard on the radio this morning about clothing.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Cotton crops have been horrible and that is what is causing the problems with clothes. Mfgrs are trying to keep the prices down as much as possible without losing all profit. You don't make money you don't need workers!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 AM

This is why shopping at Thrift stores is so smart; so many of the jeans there are never worn and the good solid cotton jeans.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:36 AM

My problem is that I cannot wear anything but cotton, cotton blend, or maybe a good quality wool for winter - with it heavy on the cotton for the cottons, because I need it to breathe. I get overheated in these rayon or polyester clothes.

I just saw this article on Yahoo: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Higher...95776.html?x=0
Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 AM

Yes, this is not limited to just clothing, but have you noticed how some food jar/cans have gotten smaller and yet you are paying more. This also reminds me of the candy bars that shrank a long time ago.
IdahoSandy
Old 08-20-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
This is why shopping at Thrift stores is so smart; so many of the jeans there are never worn and the good solid cotton jeans.
I agree :-D
Old 08-20-2011, 08:07 AM

My grown daughter wears Miss Me jeans. They are so tight, if she had a coin in her back pocket you could read the year printed on it. However, in her defence, the next larger size is too big. What happened to the sizing standard in patterns? Never know what size to buy. BTW- her new jeans are paper thin.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350
One of biggest pet peeves lately has been that it is impossible to find 100% cotton jeans...they all have lycra or spandex in them...I just hate the way they look on me, plus they stretch out after a couple of hours and I find myself pulling them up all day...I was seriously thinking of buying demim and making my own...or good will...they just aren't in the stores anymore.
I've been complaining about the lack of all-cotton jeans and other clothes for several years now. Even designer jeans, where you pay more for the name, don't give you all cotton. I'm all for making my own (or, more realistically, paying for someone to make them for me), but can you even find all-cotton denim fabric any more? Not to mention non-synthetic fabric for office wear.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm
My problem is that I cannot wear anything but cotton, cotton blend, or maybe a good quality wool for winter - with it heavy on the cotton for the cottons, because I need it to breathe. I get overheated in these rayon or polyester clothes.

I just saw this article on Yahoo: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Higher...95776.html?x=0
Thanks... one has to keep reading, reading, reading so as not to get ripped off. I remember reading a book a few years ago by Paulo Freire, "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" about how the less well educated a group or society is, the easier they are to be manipulated... NOT HERE... Not in the USA... keep up the reading and thank you for the article.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
Yes after the new look falls apart after 2 washings, then we start up a new business called "New Look Mending" LOL

Maybe this is a new definatition of "money laundering". LOL Isn't it just like washing your money down the drain... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 08-20-2011, 10:42 AM

If clothing fashions follow the economy, I'd say we're in for some ugly stuff.