What a Mess!!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Default What a Mess!!

My washer just over flowed it probably was filling for over a half hour I just had a small load in. I got up from here and went to check it and it was 2 inches deep all down the hallway, running down the registers to the basement I used every towel I had and got the shop vac and had to empty it 5 times I could of just sat in it and cried but I knew I had to get much up as I could I hope nothing is ruined at least it didn't get in my sewing room although it started to run in at the door. Just had to vent a little
Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 AM

Am so sorry. I know what a mess it makes as it happened to me once. Hope all is clean and well now.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:14 AM

Just in case there is some floor damage, it may be covered under your homeowners insurance policy.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Oh my......hope your homeowners will take care of it if there is damage.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

what a terrible situation for you. i know these things can be very difficult to make right.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
My washer just over flowed it probably was filling for over a half hour I just had a small load in. I got up from here and went to check it and it was 2 inches deep all down the hallway, running down the registers to the basement I used every towel I had and got the shop vac and had to empty it 5 times I could of just sat in it and cried but I knew I had to get much up as I could I hope nothing is ruined at least it didn't get in my sewing room although it started to run in at the door. Just had to vent a little
I moved into a 1 bedroom apt in Feb; on the "lower level" of my bldg; to get to my level you had to walk down about 8 steps from the parking lot level........THAT apt flooded on 3 different occasions; each one I had to call my awesome sweet landlord and he would come over with shop vac and he would take towels and clean out vanity and under kitchen sink to soak up water.........another apt in same bldg, but up on "grade" came available; he totally refurbished new apt; paint, carpet, 12" ceramic tiles in foyer, kitchen, hall and bath; new cabinets; new stove.......I moved in the first week of October and it has been wonderful, UNTIL my new upstairs neighbors got a "stacked" washer and dryer and apparently didn't hook it up properly, water has damage my ceiling in the laundry room and wicked over to my kitchen ceiling.....when I called landlord to show him thought the little man was going to cry ! He had not only gone the 2nd mile on refurbishing my new apt but he didn't charge rent for the month of October AND paid someone to move me !

One issue I was having in the old apt was mold and mildew, now I'm almost back to where I was. The sheetrock and the insulation could very well mold and mildew because of the dampness.....he is going to make it right, but good grief, now if he has to tear out my ceilings it is going to be a pain in the neck, or other places !

No need to move somewhere else because that is one of those things that just happen ! When I was living in my house my laundry facilities were in the garage.....had been off one day and came home and water was running down the drive way; yep, washer had malfunctioned and flooded garage, but that was not as big a deal as this has been.

My condolences to you !
Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 AM

What a way to start a day. I'm glad my washer and dryer are in the basement after hearing that. Sorry you had a such a mess.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Oh wow sounds like you had it worse than me. It is pretty much all soaked up but I live in a trailer and I know it is chip or pressed boards on the floor so could have some swelling of that! Time will tell. In the basement it mainly ran onto a water bed so plastic and a hall floor cement so that will dry on its own, I did put buckets under it. I hope I do not get mold or mildew I will run the dehumidifier in the basement for a few days.

And my hall floor is pretty clean now!! LOL
Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Honeynga View Post
UNTIL my new upstairs neighbors got a "stacked" washer and dryer and apparently didn't hook it up properly, water has damage my ceiling in the laundry room and wicked over to my kitchen ceiling.....
When I was in Property Management that was one of the no-nos for apartments AND condo units...NO washers allowed!! for obvious reasons....
Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Uggggggg.....At least you got it cleaned up prompto, that helps when it hasn't had time to sit and soak into the wood. Start your portable fans to help circulate the air for about 24 hours, even hike up the heat if you can stand it.