Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the most useful thing - >

What is the most useful thing -

What is the most useful thing -

Old 07-03-2019, 06:16 PM

My son's house flooded from an intense rain storm about a month ago. Friends brought their crowbars and they spent the weekend ripping out 4 feet up of baseboards, wall boards, and carpet. They had to salvage what they could of the furniture. We brought food to feed everyone. So, when disaster strikes, ask what they need.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:15 PM

so depends upon the disaster. If an individual family, then that is easier to know what they are needing immediately. If a regional disaster, then $$--sent to a reputable non-profit, tends to be more tailored for whatever is needed. When I did Red Cross volunteer work, one goal was to not only help individual households, but to also do so in a way that helps the infrastructure in the area--so for instance if a grocery is still operable, Red Cross attempts to purchase needed goods at the local grocery, or lumberyard, etc in order to keep the businesses open and the impacted families employed.
Occasionally a disaster will have a need that isn't typical--for instance, wildfires in rural KS may warrant the donation, and transport, of hay or fencing materials (and people to help fence), grains, etc.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

When my Sister in law's house was flooded in Hurricane Sandy, she said Red Cross came in. Nothing was given to anyone from Red Cross except advice how to clean and take care of themselves. Where did all that donation money go? It never helped anyone that she knew in the area.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:33 PM

I drove through southern Mississippi a few months after Hurricane Katrina and there were mountains of donated clothes at the road side. I agree, money and gift cards. Or just ask if it is an individual or family.

Where I volunteer in a shelter/food shelf, we sometimes get carefully assembled bags of toiletries, labelled Man or Woman. Sad to say, we disassemble them and pass things out individually. All that work for nothing, because people don't ask what is needed.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:55 PM

A National Guard family member saw the Salvation Army show up after a flood and supply aid. Red Cross came too but held out until news media could cover them.
For help with Hurricane Katrina, we gave through my husbands work. It was then forwarded on to those with the same occupation & we felt better about that.
if an individual has a disaster, I will only buy gas or grocery gift cards for them.