Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What podcasts do you listen to? What do you recommend? >

What podcasts do you listen to? What do you recommend?

What podcasts do you listen to? What do you recommend?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:00 PM

I love to listen to "Handle on the Law" and "Rush Limbaugh" while I am sewing.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I tried listening to Pat Sloan's podcast while driving on a long trip once. It mostly consisted of her interviewing different famous quilters by phone. The subject matter was interesting, but the person being interviewed on the phone was always very hard to hear... while Pat, in studio, was coming in loud and clear. The volume had to be turned way up to hear the guests, which made Pat way too loud. The inconsistency in volume drove me nuts, so I gave up that podcast.

Are most quilting podcasts like that?
I've not had the volume issues with any of Pat Sloan's or the other ones I mentioned. I would recommend you give it another try.

I also enjoy having comediens on youtube while I sew. I get so tickled--and you don't usually have to watch them--just listen.

For long sewing sessions, I have listened to many plays on LA Theatre Works. They're famous plays performed by professional actors for radio. So good I have never been able to stop listening to one in the middle. Talk about productivity in the sewing room. My very favorite was one called "Neat." And anything by Arthur Miller.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:49 AM

I have enjoyed Pat Sloan’s podcasts and haven’t had any problems with volume...I listen from my Ipad. I didn’t realize Leah Day had one, I’ll have to check it out. I don’t own a longarm (yet) but I enjoy the live HandiQuilter shows...they usually do one a month.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:20 PM

I enjoy NPR while driving so I should try it while sewing because television distracts me.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:40 AM

I like: Fresh Air- she interviews a wide variety of people on a wide variety of topics from arts and intertainment to science and current events

All songs Considered- they play a wide variety of music and conduct some interviews with musicians.

Freakanomics- wide variety of topics viewed through the lens of economists- can be quite entertaining

Radiolab- another profram that explores a wide variety of topics

when I’m quilting I usually listen to one of those, or have my local public radio station playing in the background

Rob
Old 10-15-2018, 09:13 AM

I love Mike Rowe's podcast and so far, it's the only one I've been listening to. I need to check out some of the ones posted here. thanks for this thread!
Old 10-16-2018, 08:47 AM

I tried listening to Pat Sloan's podcast and I had the same experience that Sew Biz Girl had. I don't hear well, so that may have something to do with it too, so I moved on.

I just started listening to the podcast "How I Built this" by Guy Roz. Here's what it's about:

How I Built This is an American podcast about "innovators, entrepreneurs, idealists, and the stories behind the movements they built" produced by NPR.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:15 PM

Up and Vanished Season 1 is great! Season 2 is in full swing now and drops a new episode every Monday. Another great podcast to listen to is Crafty Planner.. she is no longer producing them but you can listen to the past sessions.
I also love, love, love Levar Burton Reads! It the Reading Rainbow for adults!

http://www.levarburtonpodcast.com/
https://upandvanished.com/
http://www.craftyplanner.com/episodes/
Old 10-22-2018, 02:57 AM

Levar Burton's podcast sounds great!!!
The Trail went cold is a good one to listen to, as well as Someone Knows Something.
I'm surely going to try and listen to an episode from the craftyplanner, sound interesting. All the recommendations I've seen so far have been great feedback.. lots of variety!

Originally Posted by Betty49 View Post
Up and Vanished Season 1 is great! Season 2 is in full swing now and drops a new episode every Monday. Another great podcast to listen to is Crafty Planner.. she is no longer producing them but you can listen to the past sessions.
I also love, love, love Levar Burton Reads! It the Reading Rainbow for adults!

http://www.levarburtonpodcast.com/
https://upandvanished.com/
http://www.craftyplanner.com/episodes/
Old 10-22-2018, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

I like NPR, All Things Considered, and This American Life. I didn't know Leah Day had one. I'll have to check it out.
Also Fresh Air.