Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what is rhe problem with the census form >

what is rhe problem with the census form

what is rhe problem with the census form

Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 AM

Why don't you want to fill out the census form.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:02 AM

I want to know how many millions of dollars were spent on tv commercials for them....
Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 AM

We sent our in right away. my son said it is none of the gov business but they sent it in too. Now I hear they are sending out another set. How much money are they spending that could be put to better use!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:21 AM

That's exactly my problem with it. The questions they ask ARE none of their business. Originally, the census asked your name, where you live, names and ages of all family members or people living in your home. If you go into genealogy, you see that even back in the 1800s, the people didn't give out all the information that was asked. We filled it out, but only to keep them from coming to our door. And I heard, not sure it's true, that they'll go to your neighbor's house and ask questions about you. THAT would REALLY tick me off!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:30 AM

I'm happy to do my Constitutional duty.

For those who don't seem to enjoy doing it, does it help to know that census is done pretty much everywhere around the world? The first census I could find info on was done 4,000 years ago in China and counted some 13 million people.

Myself, I was able to use census information to learn about the history of my family. If you or your kids or grandkids ever get involved in genealogy, you'll sure be so happy to find that your ancestors filled out census forms. And, the census you fill out today could be a wonderful find for relatives 100 years from now!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:34 AM

I only gave them our names, address and date of birth. That is all that is required. They can kiss my foot if they think that I am going to volenteer anything. As far as the waste is concerned, we could probably balance the budget if they would all just cut out the garbage that they don't need. Ok, I'll stop now. You really don't want to get me going on goverment spending!!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Last census we ended up being chosen to follow up. It was very annoying and a big hassle. It went on for months. Do not agree to this if asked. I don't remember if we were asked though!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:59 AM

I don't mind the census questions. I do a lot of genealogy, and can't tell you how much I've learned from prior census reports.
In previous census reports, as I'm sure is true today, the door to door census takers were sometimes rather lazy, and instead of traveling a mile down the road to the next house, would ask neighbors for information about the family. I looked for a couple of years to find one branch of my ancestors on the 1850 census...didn't find them until I found the name spelled as "Barker" instead of "Barber" as it should have been. Either the neighbor, who didn't know them well gave the information, or the census taker misunderstood the name...I think the forms that you fill out yourself are going to be a lot more accurate for future generations to find us! :)
Old 04-11-2010, 08:32 AM

The census form we got only asked the names, ages and ethninticity of everyone in the house. Were there other questions on other forms?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Pam

I had a follow up form last time that wanted to know the number of rooms and bathrooms in the house and if we used indoor or outdoor plumbing.