Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What are these things???

Blog Entries

What are these things???

I bought these at a quilt show in West Palm Beach, Florida, a few months ago, and the display had a sign of what they are and what they can be used for. I bought three as gifts, but now I don't remember what they are for? Does anyone know. I hate to give them as gifts if I don't even know what they are .

Maybe whoever made them is on this board and will chime in.

Thanks for your help!

Name:  20140624_211411.jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  1.39 MB

Name:  20140624_211507.jpg
Views: 2803
Size:  1.79 MBName:  20140624_211507.jpg
Views: 2803
Size:  1.79 MB

I believe they are scissor fobs. You loop them on your scissor handle so you know they are yours when you go to a class, etc. Very cute.

Blog Entries
    she is right, you can use these on scissors or other items so you know they belong to you. Love em when at a retreat or when sewing with others
    Patski
    always learning

Power Poster
    looks like scissors fobs
    QUILTNMO

Ditto what they said, but I must thank you for your post. I absolutely cracked up when I read that you bought them and couldn't remember what they were! So glad I'm not the only one. Still laughing...
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

Power Poster
    Very pretty! They are scissor fobs but can be used to identify other objects as well as long as they have a spot to loop the string through. I think one would look pretty attached to my Singer treadle machine key.

Blog Entries
    I would use them as Zipper pulls!?
    mk
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I had the same thought, MK. Was just sure I had the answer.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have yellow ribbons tied on the handles of all my scissors. My family used to just grab scissors and cut and then my scissors would be ruined for sewing. Rule around the house now is if you want to live don't touch anything with a yellow ribbon on it. It works. I can see the fobs you bought would be a prettier solution.

I have ribbon tied to my scissors also. Everyone knows I'll break their arm if they even look like they are going to touch them. I have some beads and cording from my days of thinking I need another hobby like jewelry making. Maybe, just maybe I could make some of those cute fobs.

oh dear! I saw them and thought how pretty they would look on the top of a stick holding a wall hanging (or bottom) lol DORK!
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    I have something like that on my rotary cutter, there are several of us that sew in a group and there is usually more than one of the same item, ruler, cutters, scissor & mats. I use lettered beads for mine.

That ribbon idea is great! I could embroider names on them, add a v
    elcro or button closure. what a great stocking stuffer!
    Last edited by diamondee; 06-27-2014 at 07:04 AM. Reason: another idea
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

When the kids left for school and I got into their rooms for a deep clean, I found almost a dozen pairs of scissors weaseled away. (A friend regularly gave me scissors for Christmas/birthday - knew my kids; hence the collection.) Wish I had some of these or thought about the ribbon trick. At the time I guess I was too busy hunting glasses, iced tea spoons, etc.

They're long on their own and I am still finding things. Gotten to kinda like it. Oooooh, I am sick!

:-) Pat

My first thought was they would make a nice decoration on a quilter's keychain.
    Sally

They are scissor fobs, but I also use something similar on my rotary cutters. I actually used the bookmarks they used to sell at Borders or B&N that had a decorative piece at one end and beads at the other. I would split them and tie the threads.

They are for your scissors and they make great gift for Quilters. I have one and love it. I need more for my other scissors. rjwider if you make some PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
    Ditto what they said, but I must thank you for your post. I absolutely cracked up when I read that you bought them and couldn't remember what they were! So glad I'm not the only one. Still laughing...
    Me too, I just love this!

Slip on handles of anything you want, phone, scissors, snippers, compass, handle of coffee cup, etc. I used some on small change purses that I made.

I used similar gadgets for key rings
    Elfi
    Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds....you can grow flowers or you can grow weeds!!!

The things you do for yourself are gone when you’re gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy. ~ Kalu Kalu

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
    I have yellow ribbons tied on the handles of all my scissors. My family used to just grab scissors and cut and then my scissors would be ruined for sewing. Rule around the house now is if you want to live don't touch anything with a yellow ribbon on it. It works. I can see the fobs you bought would be a prettier solution.
    Me too, but my ribbons are hot pink. DH hates pink so that is my color. Lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Originally I think they were used for phone fobs - but now your imagination is the only limit to their use.
    Learn to Travel, Travel to Learn

They have a multitude of decorative, identifying uses....you can put them on zippers or even you cell phone

Blog Entries
    To me they looked like yarn threaders. Where did you get the pattern if I may ask?
    Thank you!!!
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.