Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What To Use On Dogs Hot Spots >

What To Use On Dogs Hot Spots

What To Use On Dogs Hot Spots

Old 06-26-2010, 05:53 AM

to help clear up the oozies that are already there, use apple cider vinegar.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:26 AM

Wow I've always had dogs and never heard of "hot spots".
Old 06-26-2010, 06:43 AM

My dogs used to get these too - I tried everything but finally found something that works. I would buy "Sulfodene" for dogs at the grocery store or pet store. It really works wonders. I know that it stings a little when the sores are open but as it heals it does not sting anymore. I would spray him a couple times a day - usually the hot spot would disappear within a couple of days. Best part - Sulfodene is sold over the counter and only cost less than $5
Old 06-26-2010, 07:02 AM

My Chow used to get those and I used Gold Bond powder with success as it got right down to the skin of a very fluffy dog.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

BAG BALM............ it comes in a green tin and it works wonders. it is for cows udders but when I had my golden he would get hot spots only in the summer too we used bag balm. It is also great to heal dried cracked fingers from quilting.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:07 AM

After taking the dog to the vet last year a couple of times and the $$ medication (spray and ointment (he licked both off)) not working, I decided to "google it".

Came up with articles that said to keep the Hot Spot DRY. Witch hazel to clean, dry it, then apply Gold Bond Medicated powder. Worked GREAT!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Bf's rotweiler get these too. We used the gold bond, too.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:24 AM

WD-40 is not an insecticide or a wound spray. Please don't use it on a open wound or breathe in a lot of the fumes. Before you use anything like that you should know exactly what it is and its uses.

Any time your pet is licking at something and making it worse it introduces more microbes. Talk to your vet to make sure there is not another cause for the "hot spots" because things happen that we don't always know about. I had a cat bitten by a brown recluse spider and thought the poor thing had just been scratched on something during the day. After two days, it was gross. We actually had to surgically remove all affected tissues and close the wound. It looked small from the outside but the damage on the inside was huge. He never fully recovered from that.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
My dog gets oozing hot spots every year when it gets really hot and humid. What do you use?
I use 'cornstarch' on my Ruby Darlin' as soon as I see one start. My husband uses cornstarch for jock itch so I tired it on hot spots on my dog and it cleared right up.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
WD-40 is not an insecticide or a wound spray. Please don't use it on a open wound or breathe in a lot of the fumes. Before you use anything like that you should know exactly what it is and its uses.

Any time your pet is licking at something and making it worse it introduces more microbes. Talk to your vet to make sure there is not another cause for the "hot spots" because things happen that we don't always know about. I had a cat bitten by a brown recluse spider and thought the poor thing had just been scratched on something during the day. After two days, it was gross. We actually had to surgically remove all affected tissues and close the wound. It looked small from the outside but the damage on the inside was huge. He never fully recovered from that.
Oh I so agree with you to make sure everything is ok with the critter. I tried the simple home remedy after the expensive medicines and trips to the vet weren't working.

P.S. After this issue, bad wait times for service and another serious medical issue, we switched vets.
:thumbup: