Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What were you called when you were little, and by whom? >

What were you called when you were little, and by whom?

What were you called when you were little, and by whom?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:09 PM

My older brother didn't want a sister, so he called me Charlie until I was about 3. The only way to get him to stop, my mom "charged" him every time he called me Charlie. He was a real miser...even at 6 years of age, and he hated not getting his full 10 cent allowance. So...he finally stopped. Then when I was in grade 2, a favourite game was "Pitter Patter"....so he started calling me Pitter. And almost 6 decades later, still does. ;)

Patti
Old 02-25-2011, 06:39 PM

My brother couldn't say Julia, so he called me Sissy and EVERYONE still calls me that.

We had a friend who used to call my mom, Flossie Mae Sweatbelly, and my dad, Freddy Jo, and my niece didn't know til a couple of years ago that Mae and Jo wasn't their middle names...lol
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 PM

My dad called me Suzie Q also, don't know why, but when my DD was born her middle name is Suzanne so that Daddy finally had a Sue. My mom and almost all my relatives called me Terri Lee, in school it was just Terri but nowadays it's either Mom, Gramma, or T.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 AM

Oh... and when I was little (and sometimes still) my mother called me Grace because I was anything but graceful. (She also use to tell me that if I didn't stop what I was doing, I was going to skin my ignorance. LOL!)[/quote]

I love that! You're gonna skin your ignorance... That is funny!
The things they used to come up with crack me up... Thanks for sharing that one.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Been called Andie since I was small.
My son gets Chicken Wing and Puppy
Old 04-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Julianna
Forgot to say my mother called me a "big calf" whenever I cried. This was ridicule so I learned not to cry. (hard to do as a child, and sometimes hard to do as an adult)
Juliana, I apologize for what your mother called you when you cried when you were small. (So not fair). Crying is a huge part of living! It means you're not just going through this life - but you're living it - you're feeling it. Hope you're still "Living it". We Cry and We Laugh! We have those downs so we can appreciate the good times more. Here's to ya!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM

my family called me Bebe
Old 04-12-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie

I had a Spanish professor from Mexico. She was the smallest, skinniest thing you had ever seen. However, she was tubby when she was a little girl. Everyone called her "Gordita" (little fat girl), when she was younger. She was so sweet. I would have been offended if someone would have called me that, but she figured it was all in good humor.

We used to go to an orphanage down near Tijuana (not now because of the violence down there), and the women there called the kids nicknames that highlighted their worst characteristic. I thought it was mean at first, but then found out that it is all meant in love...fat kids are called gordo or gorda, gordita, etc. It's their way.

My name is Janice, and my whole family called me Jan. My mom called me Janny sometimes, and a girl I grew up with called me that all the time, and still does. I used Jan when I was a kid and a young adult, but started using Janice at age 40. Don't know why, it just seemed like time to do it. I like it when my mom and my friend still call me Janny.

My DH's family called him Johnny the Wrench for a while, because he used to take everything in sight apart, and carried a wrench in his back pocket all the time. One time he loosened the bolt on the front wheel of his brother's bike, and when he took off on it, the wheel flew off, and he went head over heels over the handlebars.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:05 PM

My Dad's family all called my June Bug (June is my middle name). As I grew they dropped the Bug (thanks goodness) except for my Dad's youngest brother. I am now 72 and he is 80. He still calls me June Bug!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:29 PM

lou nope not my name.