Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What Would You Do With A Zipper That Has a Lacy Tape?

What Would You Do With A Zipper That Has a Lacy Tape?

I found these zippers on etsy and Geta talks about them in this blogpost (includes a picture of what I'm talking about): http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.co...e-zippers.html .

I love the idea of these zippers but I don't know how I would use them. Any ideas?
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

Blog Entries
    those are so cute. they'd definitely need a surface application... looks like something for a baby or a teen girl.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Great zippers! They would look cute on my panty coin purses! Anything that has a difficult zipper to inset would be easy with a top stitch zipper...purses, phone or iPod cases, pillow zipper, zipper I Spy squares on quilts...

Those are adorable. I just ordered them. I am making zipper purses for granddaughters and those are perfect.

They would look cute as pocket decorations on jeans...or to modify the front of a tank top, if you're into sewing clothes, that is.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Those would be so cute on things I make for my four year old DGD. They would look good on bags and if you like to cut up sweat shirts and make jackets they would make a cute closure.

I'm getting it now. I would have to finish my edges before I insert this zipper. It was hard for me to figure out how the lace would enhance my project, but now I've got it.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

Blog Entries
    you could put it on polar fleece n an unfinished edge and let the color show thru the lace. I want some of those.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I've seen these sewn to the outside of make - up bags and toiletry bags. They look appealing.

I saw something similar at JoAnns and wondered the same thing. The panty purses would be adorable with them. Thanks for the good ideas quilting peeps!

Something I never do, had to buy a zipper, LOL. Saw these are Jo-Ann's yesterday, did not think to check the price.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    So many things for an extra touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
    I found these zippers on etsy and Geta talks about them in this blogpost (includes a picture of what I'm talking about): http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.co...e-zippers.html .

I love the idea of these zippers but I don't know how I would use them. Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Those would be so cute on the front of a Henley t shirt, or as the zipper on the side of a purse,...
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for pointing those out, they are super! I can think of a lot of applications.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    They're so sweet! I love to modify inexpensive t-shirts that you find in Michael's -- sometimes only $2 each! With lace, embroidery or even velvet insets, these would be adorable in a modified V neckline!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    I have seen them at JoAnns and Hancocks. I'm not sure they have all of those colors. They also have polka dot zippers. I bought some white with black polka dot ones. I was going to make a purse and sew them on the outside instead of inset like the pattern says.

Blog Entries
    What a lovely way to individualize a gift. Have we spotted the next, new, must have trend ?

I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

The zippers your talking about are GREAT (IMHO). I started using them in my little alteration business (helps pay for my quilting - lol). I found that sometimes when you are repairing a ready made item (a robe that was given to a grandma), zipper needed to be replaced (grandma broke another zipper, she has dementia so this happens a lot). I found that we needed a zipper that didn't come apart (this is how they would get broken), but also looked great (because being a ready made robe it had almost NO seam allowance - for what that robe cost it should have come with plenty of seam allowances). I found that I was able to save the look of this robe and it still fit the way Grandma wanted it, without changing the robe. I've found that a lot of ready made items are not made to be fixed if they have a problem, but the lace zippers help when you don't have a lot of options but you still want something to look nice. I've also used them when making cute little things too.