Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what are you reading now... >

what are you reading now...

what are you reading now...

Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 AM

I'm reading by ear, Follet's 'Fall of Giants' ... really good. I like to listen to books on CD while quilting.

I have noticed tho, that compared to actually reading a book, I am more likely to forget a larger percentage of the book after I am done. I guess when we read and use our eyes, it leaves a bigger impression on our brain compared to hearing with our ears.

I listened to the full Millennium series by Steig Larsson while quilting, books were so so much better than the movies.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Ronald Reagan's autobiography...quite good so far!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Currently "Krakatoa" by Simon Winchester and in the middle of "Homer's Odyssey" (don't know why I never read that before). Just finished Pulitzer Prize winner "Cleopatra" by Stacy Steiff (spelling?) and am anxiously awaiting "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot. Begin to panic when my "to read" stash gets down to 3 books. Have had a Kindle for a year and still haven't used it. Something about going to the bookstore, touching the paper, turning the pages....
Old 06-14-2011, 11:25 AM

I'm reading Clive Cussler Treasure
Old 06-14-2011, 11:54 AM

Just finished Tribute by Nora Roberts. Very good. Believe or not I am finally reading Little Women because it came as a classic with my Nookbook. Don't know why I never read it.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by sandwich child
Currently "Krakatoa" by Simon Winchester and in the middle of "Homer's Odyssey" (don't know why I never read that before). Just finished Pulitzer Prize winner "Cleopatra" by Stacy Steiff (spelling?) and am anxiously awaiting "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot. Begin to panic when my "to read" stash gets down to 3 books. Have had a Kindle for a year and still haven't used it. Something about going to the bookstore, touching the paper, turning the pages....
That is why I cannot imagine reading on a Kindle.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:25 PM

"death of a president". just finished "jackie and bobby", "the kennedy women", "peter lawford: the man with the secrets", "lee harvey oswald", and two or three others dealing with camelot and the kennedy years. i'm about finished with the kennedy obsession. time to find a new one. (i've read rosemary clooney's bio, and am reading bert lahr's, for a little bit of "light" in the "heavy" of camelot.) i haven't had the heart to read the warren commission report. and i'm dying to know what's still locked away. i'll not live to see it, though...
Old 06-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by callie72va
I just discovered books by Sandra Dallas. Most have a quilter as a character. The stories are fabulous.
I have read all of her books and loved them all.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by lheartsl
has anyone read water for elephants? I heard it was good, and have it on hold at the library...

I will have to check out that sandra dallas.... Don't think I have read anything by her....
Yes I have read Water for Elephants. Excellent book.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by carslo
The Help is was amazing
I bought this to take on vacation next week...a friend and colleague recommended it so highly that I couldn't resist buying it....and I usually don't buy books since I read so fast! I just use the library but it would be weeks before I got a copy of this one.....