Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: what are you reading now...

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Gail
    Sandra Dallas' latest book, "The Bride's House". I've read every one of her books and liked them all.

Judy
    I read her book "Prayers for Sale" & loved it!

I enjoyed reading the Quilter's Apprentice this week. I've been aiming to read the Elm Creek series. Summer vacation is here and time to read (and quilt)

I'm trying to read "Nothing Happens Until it Happens to You" by T. M. Shine. I was told this book was hilarious. I'm about half way through it and haven't even chuckled. Not sure I will finish it.

Before this book I read "The Cross Gardener" by Jason F. Wright. I found this book to be so sad - perhaps because I read it the same week my neighbor's son died unexpectedly.

I'm on the look out for an easy read, something I don't need to think about.

I read every night and somtimes get to read during the day...love to read. Janet Evanovich has written her series from one to sixteen with 17 coming out end of this month; i have pre-ordered it. I have all of Joanne Fluke's books, too...the latest one is Devil's food cake murder...she solves the mystery and gives you excellent recipes in her books. (And has a web site...made cookies that look like a cheeseburger!) In talking about her at the book store the last time, I was recommended Diane Mott Davidson's books (12 published in all) that begin with the Cereal murders. Leslie Meirer has the "holiday" mystery series. New author Jenn McKinlay has written "Sprinkle with Murder" first in a new series a cupcake bakery mysteries...again with recipes.

Carolyn Brown has written some excellent "Cowboy" romance books about Honky Christmas before that, My give a damn's busted (very funny), Hell,Yeah!, I love this bar, last one published is: Love a drunk cowboy.

And when I ran out of reading for the month, I grapped up Emily March: Angel's rest, followed by her Hummingbird Lake and followed by Heartach Falls. Wonderful reading. I have re-read them about three times in less than a month. Inspiriting stories. Uplifting.

If you have not try some of these, you might want to look at one at the public library or book store or even a used book store.

Really like James Patterson (but like what HE writes and not the co-authored books). Also loved the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.

Recently read Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. Best book I've read for a long time.

Currently reading How Few Remain by Harry Turtledove. SciFi alternate history about the second war between the states. Harry Turtledove has done a lot of US alternate history novels but this is the first one I've read. I'm not sure what I think of it... Bothers me some ways. Intrigues me others. Guess I'll keep reading.

Blog Entries
    Just finished THe Help, very good read.

Just gonna start Sandra Dallas Alices tulips

Earlene Fowler has written a number of mystery stories based on the various quilt blocks...EQ has the instructions and blocks to put into EQ7. Her lastest one is State Fair, still staring Benni Harper as her main charater.

The Midwife's Confession, by Diane Chamberlain ... and
    Hurricanes in Paradise, by Denise Hildreth ... both very good!

Now I have bookmarked this post so that I can make a list of all these recommendations.

I am reading the Long Drive Home, really good book so far.

I just finished reading She Walks in Beauty by Siri Mitchell, if you like Pride and Prejudice and that time period you will like this but I can never quite connect with Victorian era from this viewpoint, probably I would have been in those impoverished huddled masses and not high society.

I am suggesting the book Scattered Life by Karen McQuestion, wonderful characthers you can really connect with some of them. Real twist near the end that left me crying.

I second the Midwives Confession, great story and characters.

I read two to three books a week so my list could go on and on.

Blog Entries
    Love his books! Reading- the probable future by Alice Hoffman. So far so good!

Quote Originally Posted by carslo
    The Help is was amazing
    This was one of the books my quilt/book club small group read recently, opened our eyes to the way people lived in the south years ago.

Blog Entries
    Just finished Fern Michaels "Southern Comfort". Have two paper backs to finish and then will start reading Eve by Irish Johanson.

I just finished "Heaven Is For Real". It is an outstanding book!

James Patterson for me too. This time is "I, Alex Cross" I think I'm addicted to him. I've also read up to 7 of the Women's Murder Club.

I just finished a book by Barbara Delinsky called "Together Alone" Really a great romance story.

Just finished Firestorm by Iris Johansen love her books

"Life" by Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. He is much more intelligent than you would think. Also, did you know that Mick Jagger was a student at the London School of Economics? Very smart businessman.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carslo
    The Help is was amazing
    I read that when it first came out.....loved it... Will be out as a movie in august!

I agree...awesome book.

I just finished While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky. A wonderful book.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    I finished The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson, the last of my book club reads for this year. Very good read - read it in a day.

So now I can read what I want to read for my own enjoyment so I started with Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny. Mystery buffs will enjoy her books. Her main character is Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surite de Quebec. Excellent series but you really need to start with the first one, Still Life , to get the feel for the recurring characters and the setting of the tiny village of Three Pines. I can't wait for her next one to come out! :D

Either Major Pettigrew's last Stand or The Postmistress is next on my list.

Read the other nine, waiting for my turn to come up at the library for #10. Boy was I disappointed in the tv show they made out of this series, especially starring Angie Harmon one of my favorites. Even she couldn't save it.
    Loved the books.

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult + various Quilting magazines

The Girl who Kicked the hornet's Nest! The last in the trilogy, by Stieg Larsson. Loved them all!!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast