Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is your best Christmas memory from childhood? >

What is your best Christmas memory from childhood?

What is your best Christmas memory from childhood?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
The year I got a can of black olives just for me.
Nancy, yours made me laugh. Did you "wear" them on your fingers? We did!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 AM

My Mom and Dad always worked very hard to make Christmas absolutely wonderful for us five kids living in a 700 sq ft house. One Christmas my parents wrapped up a huge box and wrapped it tightly, so absolutely no peaking!! Man...I tried to figure out what could be in that box, I guessed and guessed to no avail. She gave a hint, "it's for everyone in the family"????? The box was so lightweight??? Christmas morning we anxiously tore it open and it was a new bed pillow for everyone in the family. We all loved our pillows. I did the same thing with my kids one Christmas when they were 10 & 12. I didn't allow sweets and soft drinks but once in a while so it was a real treat to get a soda for them. A soft drink named Clearly Canadian came in several flavors, I bought two twelve packs and wrapped them in boxes so they couldn't feel around figure it out. They went nuts over the big boxes that were so heavy??? They were surprized and thrilled when they finally got to open them. They still talk about that fun gift. The funny part to me is how they savored and saved them for a special drink.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 AM

My favorite Christmas memory of the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia was the wonderful aromas of applesauce cakes and country ham baking in the oven on Christmas Eve. My Grandmother, Grace, lived with us and all of the aunts and uncles would come to our house for Christmas dinner. We didn't have a lot of money but were rich in love.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:58 AM

My memorable Christmases started when I got married. I had poor parents and we were never ever allowed to believe in Santa. Even when we got a present, my mom a point to tell us she resented having to spend the money. One Christmas when I was about 13 she bought me a girdle because she said I needed one because I was too fat------NOT really fat, maybe 5-10 lbs more than ideal.

But my first Christmas married was finally the one that taught me what Christmas should be----not much money as hubby was still in college and I was expecting our first child in the spring. But I got him a few little things. Christmas eve we went to get a tree because they would be cheaper. We had to go get a few decorations as well. Roads were so icy but we were out doing the shopping anyway. I had to work on Christmas but before I went to hospital for AM shift we opened our gifts and he got me a camera so we could take pictures of our first child. I was so overwhelmed with love that I knew we would be together forever and now it has been 45 years.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
I remember my mom painting a nativity scene on roll up plastic of some sort. She would tape it in our picture window (south facing) every christmas. Looked so pretty. I have it now but it is a bit worse for ware. Not sure what I will do with it.
This brought back memories of my fathers "stained glass" windows. We lived in a three story building, in Germany,on a military base, that had tall windows in the stairwells. Dad used electrical tape and colored cellophane to create three panels of the nativity for a contest. He won $25.00, it was 1956. We used those panels again for years whenever we had a big window.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:44 AM

My best Christmas ever was the first time my parents came to visit our family for the holiday. My mother paid me the best compliment. She said she loved spending Christmas with my family because the celebration just went on and on. I posted about it here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...y-t234290.html

She especially loved the Joe Pie Day activities since they carried Christmas over into the next day for everyone. Even though I am one of four children, Mama and Daddy came mostly to our house after that and that made our celebrations always more special. Wonderful memories!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 PM

My best memory is of the plastic holly and Christmas lights Dad had cleverly stapled to 2 x 4s that fit the frame around the front door. Every year all he had to do was nail up the 2 x 4s and put electric candles in all the front windows and the outside of our house was decorated.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:53 PM

We live in the SOUTH (SC) and I was about 10.

Christmas Eve at church we had the Christmas Story
acted out & on the way home it was snowing.

I only remember 1 other snow on Christmas in all my 67 years.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
The year I got a can of black olives just for me.
Oh that is hilarious I always loved black olives too, never got a can all to myself though.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:59 PM

Well I was the kid who always woke up at 4:00 in the morning, and I would sneek down to the tree and open one of my gifts and then rewrap it so mom and dad wouldn't know. They probably knew, but neither one of us said anything.